Chapter Four: The Spark

Cora thought the last she would ever see of the man was when she was lying on the observation table. Slowly waking up, she saw the two fuzzy figures of Thomas and the man taking by Thomas's desk. As she started to wake up, Thomas patted the man on the shoulder and walked over to Cora.

She tried to sit up but to see the man leave, but Thomas put his hand on her forehead and laid her back down. "Just take it easy," His hand was cold, it felt nice on her beating head. The feeling of his hands calmed her and she put her head back and closed her eyes.

"What happened?" Cora asked.

Thomas sat beside her on the table, "You fainted," he looked right into her eyes as he spoke and she felt butterflies in her stomach from it. "It's not uncommon this time of year." He told her. "It's starting to get cold, but we still need to stay hydrated. Would you like some water?" He asked as he floated across the room to a table with a crystal bottle filled with water and a couple glasses around it.

Cora got up on her elbows, "Yes please," she said watching him glide back with a glass filled with nice cool water. He held it up to her mouth and helped her drink it. "Thank you," Cora said blushing slightly.

Thomas put the back of his hand on her forehead and the feeling of his touch made her blush more. "You're still a little warm," he said. "Just lie down if you need to."

"I-I'm ok," Cora told him and sat up. "Just a little confused," She put her head down embarrassed.

"It's not uncommon," Thomas said to her. "It's starting to get cold out. The temperature from outside to inside is so different, it was likely a shock to your head." He looked right into her brown eyes and she saw right into the emerald green of his. "I'm just happy that man was there to help you see me." They both smiled.

Thomas leaned forward to kiss Cora and she closed her eyes. But then, she raised her hand to his chest and turned her head. "No," she said. "This isn't what I came for remember."

Thomas stood up straight, "Of course," he said with his hand on his chest. "How ungentlemanly of me... Would you like some tea?" Cora nodded her head yes and Thomas went to get some.

Cora thought for a minute; if she was going to get to know Thomas she would need to ask questions. "What made you want to become a doctor?" she asked him.

Thomas smiled; it had been a long time since someone showed interest in his life. "When I was 6, my mother died giving birth to my sister, Edith. She became all that my father and I had left of my mother. When Edith was 7 she got very ill. My father and I did all that we could to help her get better, but she passed away at 8. I was too young to help my mother and my sister. I decided that I would no longer watch people suffer and not know what I can do."

Thomas became excited as he passionately talked to Cora about this. Then he stood in-front of her. Cora was not sitting up on the table with her legs off the side. Thomas gave her the tea and looked her right in eyes, Cora's heart rate increased. "I believe every problem has a solution and I dedicated my life to finding them."

Cora smiled, "I can see why Sir Benjamin was so eager to fund your practise," she replied. "You have a great deal of passion for your work and a motivation to succeed no matter the challenges."

Thomas returned the smile and blushed, "Thank you." He sat on the table beside her.

"What became of your father?" Cora asked.

Thomas sipped on his tea before replying, "He's remarried and has two step kids. They all live out in the country and he is a lawyer. We have not talked since I left to start Medical school; now that he is busy with his new family. He told me to know that every time I make someone's life better, he is proud of me." Thomas looked down at his tea. The words were nice, but Cora could tell he missed the only family he had left.

Cora knew not to ask more questions about his father. There was something he wasn't saying; but she knew that now was not the time to ask about it. "I am sure your sister and mother are with you every day helping you heal people." Thomas looked up and smiled.

"What about you?" Thomas asked, "Or is this interrogate Thomas day?" They both laughed.

"Well," Cora began. "I've always wanted to be a writer."

"Really, why's that?" asked Thomas.

"I don't know," Cora told him. "Growing up my job was always to work; when I wasn't working I was reading. I read stories of adventure and excitement. I loved to escape my life and pretend I was on one of them. I would be picking corn or apples and pretend I was gathering clues of a crime scene, or an escaped prisoner in hiding. And yet, I liked that when I came back to reality I was somewhere I could call home; and no matter the danger in my imagination, I was safe." She stopped a moment and looked at Thomas. He was sitting silently and listening with great interest.

Cora went on to tell of her wild imagination as a child. She spoke of the games she'd play when working in the fields. She spoke of the legends and myth's told to her by her elders. Cora had always wanted to do something that would make her story be told through the generations.

"It is not often you here about people being so passionate about such things," Thomas told her in a praising tone of voice. He opened his mouth to continue when there was a knock on the door. He closed his mouth and looked towards the door.

His secretary popped her head in. "Your next appointment is here Doctor," she told him.

"Thank you," Thomas told the woman, she left closing the door behind her. He turned back to Cora, "Time flies when you're having fun, doesn't it?" They both laughed. "We will continue this conversation Miss Cora," Thomas took her hand and gave it a kiss. Then, he showed her to the door and they parted.

Later that night while Cora was in her room brushing her hair she wondered; what would they talk about the next time? They talked about their childhood, but in Cora's life, that was everything until she moved to Great Britain.

She must've dazed off because she did not hear Alice enter the room. "Oh Alice, you startled me!"

"I'm quite sorry miss," Alice bowed her head. "I wanted to ask..." She hesitated in her question. "How was today?"

Cora smiled, "I don't know how to describe it. I feel like I can say anything to him. He's handsome, sweet, and seems to genuinely care about everything I am thinking about."

"I'm happy to hear this miss," Alice said to her in an excited tone. "Would it be wise for me to inform the other staff of Dr. Olivier's possibly presence?" Alice asked, Cora knew exactly what Alice was thinking.

"I don't know," Cora became very puzzled. "It could be helpful, but should this sin really be aided?" Cora still felt guilty, but had decided that eternity in Hell was worth a life time in happiness with the one she loves. She wasn't even sure she believed in a God. Who would place her in a world where she can fall in love and never be allowed to be with the man? Ever since moving to Great Britain, she decided to live her life for life and not for death or what happens after.

"I believe they can all keep a secret miss," Alice giggled a little bit. "There are things I could tell her about this home you wouldn't believe."

"I supposed secret keeping is in their business, isn't it Alice?" Cora thought some more, sin or not she deserved happiness. "Alright Alice, you may tell them."

Alice bowed, "Yes miss Cora," she said.

"Oh and one more thing," Cora called to her. "Please, just call me Cora." They both smiled and Alice left.