Chapter Three: The Plan

Benjamin got home just in time for dinner. It was all set on the table and Cora stood beside it waiting for him smiling. "Welcome home," she said enthusiastically. Though her feelings for Thomas were stronger than ever, for the first time she had hope. Hope that everything might actually work out in a way where everyone is happy. As well as the pride that she did the right thing and did not let passion and lust choose her future for her.

Cora was taking things into her own hands now. Benjamin was pleased and they say down. Their dinner started in silence, until Benjamin decided to break it. "Everyone loved the surprise today, have you started on anything interesting yet?"

"Not yet, I seem to have a block," Cora told him. "I don't know what to write about. I don't have any interesting stories like you do. I only have dreams." Her voice trailed off as she thought about what she just said. What were her dreams? Did she have any left since she came here?

Suddenly Cora got an idea, "What if I write your stories?" She almost jumped out of her seat with excitement from the idea.

"Who would want to read those?" Asked Benjamin; starting to show his self-conscious side again.

"People like you," Cora told him. "It's the same as all those books in your room. It's adventure! Who doesn't love that?" She paused, trying to get the courage to hit his emotions gently. "You could be remembered forever; as the man who traveled the world."

Benjamin looked down at his food, though he may have seemed sad, there was excitement building in him. However, all he could say was, "I'll think about it."

There was more of a pause before Benjamin thought to bring up a different subject. "I talked to Thomas today," he told her. "You were in to visit him today?"

Cora kept her head down in case she started to blush. "Yes," she told him. "I have been feeling odd. He thinks it's just my body adjusting to new foods and culture."

She could feel Benjamin's eyes on her as she spoke, but was unable to raise her head. "Makes sense, I remember one time I was vomiting all night after eating something I didn't even know what it was." He started to chuckle lost in memory. "Well he just wanted to let me know that there was no charge," Benjamin looked back at his food and ate as he continued. "He didn't see the point in charging from the person he will be giving that money back to." They both laughed.

The rest of the night passed without the awkward bringing up of Thomas. Unfortunately Cora realized that her meetings with Thomas were to become fewer and quicker in the future and another plan would need to be made.

Cora knew this was not going to be a quick and easy task, but she had an idea on where to start. The next morning after Benjamin left to work Cora started making friends with the maids, butlers, and other workers on the grounds. She knew that is Thomas and her were to continue she would need their support and discreteness.

Cora didn't particularly feel good about this, but her heart outweighed what felt like her duties. After all, she never asked to come to Great Britain. She doesn't owe Sir Benjamin anything; he bought her as if she was just another relic to put in his room. She wasn't sure if the sinking feeling in her stomach was the food, guilt, or fear. Cora decided to push through anyway. This close, she couldn't possibly give up.

With Cora's lack of ladylike manner and hard work ethic, it was not as hard as she thought it would be to befriend the workers. In a week she was well-liked amongst them all and had one maid that did her hair every morning that she could talk with. Their conversations started small, but began to get more person and in-depth as time went on.

With a week having passed since Cora's visit to Benjamin's work, it was time to see Thomas again. "Are you going to visit Dr. Thomas today Miss?" asked the maid, Alice, while doing Cora's hair. Cora nodded. Alice rummaged through the pocket in her apron and pulled out a deep blue, lace ribbon. "Let's see how this'll look in your hair today?" Cora smiled; she had a dress that would go perfectly with the ribbon.

All dressed up, Cora put on her shoes and coat and headed down the grand staircase to the front door. She could feel her heart beating harder with each step she took closer to the bottom. She was excited and scared all at the same time. If this works out and Thomas turns out to be the person man he seems to be, she will live a life in secret. If Thomas turns out to be boring and just nice to look at, then she'll be stuck in her life with Benjamin.

The only way of answering all the questions racing around her head was to go see Thomas. She managed to get to the building alright, but as she started walking up the steps to the doors she had to stop. Cora's head became a flurry and she suddenly became very dizzy.

A young man saw her frozen and flushed. "Are you alright Miss?" he asked her.

"I-," Cora had trouble getting the words. "I need to see Dr. Olivier." She finally managed to say.

The man put Cora's arm around his neck and grasped her hand with one of his and her waist with the other. Everything seemed so distant to Cora, she didn't know what to think, or even how to. "Please let me help you, you don't look so good."

Cora was not able to notice what the man looked like, but she would recognize his voice. He kept asking her questions and he walked her into the elevator. With the mix of fascination for this strange metal box moving and her slowly sliding out of consciousness, she was not able to what the young man was saying. As soon as the elevator stopped and the young man opened the door, Cora saw Thomas. Her mouth hanging open, as soon as he looked her way she fainted.