Chapter Ten: The Scar

Thomas's office door opened. Both he and Alice were expecting to see the Police Officer and Benjamin walk in and were surprised with how quick they had been. But instead it was a familiar face to both of them. The man with the scar. He was been the one to help Cora when she fainted and he had been the one who followed Alice and Cora around the shops in town. He now had a black eye to match along with his scar.

He smiled as she closed the door and pulled a gun from his coat. "Expecting me, were we?" Mathieu chuckled. "Be a dear and make up some tea, would you?" He asked Alice.

Scared stiff she went over to the kettle and did as she was told. "You have a lot of nerve showing up here!" Thomas barked at him.

Mathieu raised the gun as a reminder to Thomas that it was there to be used. "If you ever want to see your dear little Cora again, I suggest you do as I say. Where is the old man?" He asked.

"I don't understand," Thomas responded.

"Your boss!" He said angrily. "The old, rich fiancé of that little mutt of a girl. I don't know why he chose her of all people, but who knows why he does anything he does." He went on.

"He's not here," Thomas said abruptly, interrupting Mathieu's rude comments of Cora and Benjamin.

"Then I guess we will wait won't we," he said as Alice walked over with a cup of tea for both Mathieu and Thomas.

The two men sat down staring at each other holding their tea. Mathieu still pointing the gun at Thomas. "Go stand beside him girl; it'll make it easier to shoot you if I should need to kill you both." Scared, Alice did as she was told.

It was hard to tell how much time had passed. It felt like hours to Thomas and Alice as they sat in silent, drinking tea and staring down the barrel of Mathieu's gun. Mathieu grew impatient and stirred in his seat anxiously. The careless movements of his hand holding the pistol caused Alice and Thomas's hearts to beat faster each time.

Suddenly there was a slow knock on the door to Thomas's office door. For a moment the three of them stared frozen at the door. Finally, Matthieu broke the silence. "Don't move," he told them. "I will get the door."

He slowly walked to the door as the person waiting on the other side continued to knock; slowly, "Knock.... Knock.... Knock..." He stood with his back against the wall on the right side of the door. He quickly opened the door and stood back quietly.

Alice and Thomas's eyes went wide, and they were speechless as they gazed at the figure in the door way with disbelief. The figure stayed back and out of Matthieu's sight. He had planned to ambush them as they walked into the room, but no one entered. Matthieu leaned toward the opening in the door to peer out, but all he saw was a large piece of wood straight towards him.

As Matthieu collapsed to the floor, Cora dropped the piece of wood, kicked his gun across the floor and ran into Thomas's arms. Still speechless, he could do nothing but wrap his arms around her waist tightly as if he was afraid he'd lose her again if he let go. Thomas pulled Cora into his body and kissed her. His kiss was gentle and soft despite the tight grasp. Cora reached her right hand up and gently wiped a tea off Thomas's cheek and smiled at him before returning the romantic gesture of a kiss.

The mood was interrupted by a small squeak like sound escaping Alice's lips. They looked at Alice who was still staring in fear at the open door. Quickly they spun around to see Benjamin standing there watching them. Both of their arms dropped to their sides and their jaws too as they took a step away from each other.

"Sir, I can- "Thomas started, but Benjamin raised his hand to stop Thomas from continuing.

"Alice," Benjamin said. "Please get a carriage for Lady Cora and I, we must return her home for she is finally safe." Alice bowed her head and ran out of the room to do as Benjamin asked. He took a step closer, "Dr. Olivier, we will need a doctor to make sure Cora is ok. I will be expecting you at the estate when you are done your work here. In the mean time, get the police in for this man." Benjamin put his hand out toward Cora gesturing for her to take it.

Hesitant Cora took Benjamin's hand and they left the room. She looked back at Thomas as they walked out of his office. No words were said but, in their faces, they shared a similar look of fear, confusion and sympathy. They knew the other blamed themselves for any misfortune the other may endure.