Chapter Two: The Reunion

It would not be a long time before Thomas and Cora would see each other again. The next day, Benjamin did what he said he would. In the morning he ate breakfast with Cora and then they left to visit his place of work.

As they road through the streets in Benjamin's carriage Cora was mesmerized by all the sights she saw. There where tall buildings and cobblestone roads. People walked on raised, hard and grey ground beside the roads. Almost everyone dressed so much nicer than Cora had ever seen on the streets in Canada.

The carriage stopped in front of a grand building with large pillars holding up part of the building over the doors. There were two sets or two large doors. The door was opened for Cora and a man wearing white gloves put his hand out to help Cora exit the carriage. She thanked the man, but could not stop staring at the beautiful building.

Benjamin smiled and started up the large concrete steps before to the doors and Cora followed. He opened the door for her and she entered the building. The lobby was even more gorgeous than the outside. A large wooden staircase was in the centre to bring everyone up to the other levels. To the left of the stairs was an elevator, Cora had no idea what the strange black cage was and had no interest in finding out. It did not share the beauty of the rest of the building. There was a long desk to the right and a library across the open hall.

Sitting at the desk was a skinny old man. He lifted his bespectacled head when the two entered the room. "Ah, welcome Sir Benjamin; this must be the lovely Cora." Cora smiled and nodded.

"Come Cora, I will show you my office," Benjamin started up the stairs and Cora followed. Each floor they passed had a small room of chairs and a desk with a door behind it. "Those are the businesses I fund," explained Benjamin. "It helps keep an eye on how they are doing financially when they are all in one place."

Cora was so amazed by everything she was seeing she didn't even notice Thomas running down the stairs with his face in some papers. He stopped just before bumping into her and at first didn't even notice who it was standing in front of him. "Oh, I am so sorry miss, so wrapped up in my work I forgot to look where I was going."

Cora came back to reality and saw it was Thomas. There was a silence for a moment as they stood in each other's presence one more time. Finally, Cora spoke, "Oh no, it was my fault."

Benjamin chuckled, "Well if it isn't the two new friends, both clumsy as ever." They all laughed. "Thomas, I believe you remember Cora."

"Yes of course, how could I forget?" Thomas bowed slightly, "It is nice to see you again Miss Cora."

"Very nice," Cora said. Realizing Benjamin was there with them she quickly thought of a recovery. "Sir Benjamin is giving me a tour. Maybe he would be so kind as to show me your place of work before we leave."

"Of course my dear," Benjamin said. Everyone bid each other farewell and Cora and Benjamin headed up the stairs as Thomas went down. Thomas paused after a couple steps to watch as Cora disappeared from his sight.

While Benjamin went through his daily schedule with Cora, she did her best to seem interested. The truth was, the only thing on her mind was wondering when she would visit Thomas.

Finally, her wish came true. Benjamin and Cora were about to leave for a walk in the park, when on the way down the stairs Benjamin stopped. He turned into one of the small rooms and talked to the woman at the desk. "Come," he said to Cora. "We shall pay Mr. Thomas a small visit before we leave."

Cora was happy. She followed Benjamin in through a door that said Medical Practitioner on it. She read the words out loud, but quietly to herself. There was Benjamin sitting at another desk, but much larger and much messier.