Chapter 13

Chapter 13

Over the next few weeks, Zayn kept good on his promise to visit a doctor for his somewhat unstable condition. The first facility he had been to was a general practice office, and he was later referred to a specialist in the field of psychiatry.

Dr. Peterson, a kindly blonde woman in her late-thirties, had been the first psychiatrist Zayn was referred to, and he and Niall both took immediate liking to her friendly antics and personality.

After several consecutive days of careful evaluation of Zayn's mental state, Dr. Peterson deemed it appropriate to withhold a proper diagnosis longer than usual. Zayn's condition was "very peculiar," she had stated, but wouldn't give any explanation other than telling the lads that she'd never seen such a combination of symptoms like Zayn exhibited.

Although he hadn't been very happy to be dragged to his appointments initially, Zayn found that with each passing week, his dread dwindled more and more. Dr. Peterson wasn't half-bad for a shrink, but the real reason Zayn put up with the bi-weekly check-ups was because it meant he got to take Niall around town and parade him around as his. Not that he had officially claimed the fit blonde boy by asking him to be his boyfriend, but STILL. It was one of those unspoken-- but still assumed-- agreements.

Zayn had been meaning to properly ask Niall to be his boyfriend since that day at the diner when he'd had another mild(ish) manic episode, and had been calmed nearly instantaneously by Niall's tender touch. The boy was like his drug, the only thing keeping him sane.

*****

It was Tuesday again, which meant the two boys were due out on another date in the city after they had attended Zayn's appointment for the day. Dr. Peterson had phoned the night before, telling the boys she needed to bump back the meeting a couple hours to one o'clock.

Zayn and Niall were fine with the slight change, though. The extra time would allow them a nice lie-in. They had lasted only two days of the Irish lad sleeping in his own room down the hallway from Zayn's before both had decided there was no need for the formalities of being separated. Niall got lonely easily, having always been incredibly extroverted. The older boy wouldn't admit it easily, but without Niall's touch, he felt empty. There was a constant need for more buzzing in his chest during those two days.

--

The third night, Niall and Zayn had returned from a dinner date quite late; they'd simply lost track of the time amid all the banter. They'd gone upstairs like usual and split off after bidding each other a fond goodnight.

In the guest room, Niall lay awake staring at the darkened ceiling, covers pulled to his chin and hands placed over his stomach. The quiet was overwhelming and he felt as though he couldn't handle the solitude any longer.

The blonde creaked open his door carefully and slipped out and down the corridor to Zayn's bedroom. He hesitated in front of it and debated knocking. Ultimately, he decided against rapping his knuckles to the hard wood in case the man was sleeping already.

Niall opened the familiar door gently, flinching when the hinges squeaked. He was already halfway in the room and froze before casting a wary glance to the heap under the duvet.

Zayn rolled over quickly. "Niall?" he called out softly. "Do you need something?"

"N-no," Niall stuttered. His cheeks blazed hot with flame instantly. Luckily, the curtains were drawn and the room was dark. "It's stupid," he said after a moment of hesitation. "I'll just be going back, then."

"Wait!" Zayn replied, louder this time. "As long as you're here, why don't you stay?"

"I don't want to be a burden. I'm fine, really," Niall said, slowly backing out of the bedroom.