Chapter 17

Chapter 17

"Zayn, please. I really don't think this is a good idea. You know better than I do what BB is capable of. You could be killed," Niall pleaded. He wanted Zayn's boss dead and gone as much as said boy, but he didn't want Zayn to risk his life by going after one of the most lethal men in the country, especially when Zayn had no one and Big Boss had hundreds of men willing to carry out his every command right at his disposal. He wasn't too fond of the thought of Zayn killing again, either, no matter how much of a prick his boss was.

"Baby, please. If I don't kill him soon he's going to keep assigning Tasks and I just can't go back to that old life. The assignment to get rid of you was very important and therefore I was given ample time to carry out the deed, but if I don't report results back to BB soon, he'll get suspicious and send his goons after me to finish what I couldn't. As good as I once was in the business, I'm disposable just like everyone else. He'll kill me, Ni. He'll murder me without even batting an eye. That's why I have to kill him before he does me. I've a plan, okay? Please don't worry about me, Niall. I'll be fine. We'll be fine. I just have to finish this last Task, alright?"

"If you die I'll fucking kill you myself," the blonde muttered against the warm skin of Zayn's neck.

The words sent a chuckle fluttering from the older lad's lungs and he squeezed his boyfriend closer to his chest. "That makes no sense, babe."

"Don't care," Niall pouted.

"I'll be careful, love. I pinky promise," Zayn said, holding his little finger out in front of Niall's face. The latter reached out and linked fingers with the tan lad and swung their intertwined digits together playfully.

A smile tugged at the Irish boy's smooth pink lips, his mask of anger cracking.

"Fine, Malik."

*****

The very next morning when Zayn awoke, more determined than ever to finish what he should've done aeons ago, Niall had put up quite the fuss despite giving in to Zayn's wishes the previous night. He'd begged and begged to be allowed to accompany his boyfriend to the offices of BB, but to no avail. Zayn wouldn't budge on the subject. It was much too dangerous for the small blonde boy to be anywhere near the very man who had ordered his murder.

Niall hadn't let him go in completely alone, however. A small one-way transmitter chip was implanted in the breast pocket of the casual navy blue button-up adorning Zayn's torso. That way, Niall could hear every word uttered by the boss. He wouldn't hesitate to rush to the aid of his boyfriend if the need arose.

After he'd finally escaped his boyfriend's clutches, Zayn found himself in the posh, polished lobby of the signless building. It was quite inconspicuous on the outside; to the untrained eye it would look like just another office building. To Zayn, it looked like the place that nearly ruined his life before it was thankfully saved by his Nialler.

"Hello, I'm here to report back to the boss," Zayn told the businesswoman sat behind the shiny glass desk dressed in a smart-looking navy blazer and pencil skirt.

"Name?" she asked boredly, her voice sounding much like a recording.

"Malik," he replied before handing over his identification card to be swiped.

After several minutes filled with the click-clack of the receptionist's nails against the keyboard and a few words uttered lowly into the phone, Zayn was finally ushered to the shiny silver lift by a huge man in a black suit that looked ready to pop at the seams at any moment. The doors slid open with a 'ding' on the top floor and Zayn stepped out with a nod of thanks to the security guard.