Chapter 18

Chapter 18

The sleek oak door burst open and out sprinted a very frantic and disheveled-looking Zayn.

“Niall. We have to leave. NOW,” Zayn said urgently. He grabbed his boyfriend’s hand, enveloping it in his own, and together, the two tore off down the corridor. Zayn quickly punched the button to summon the lift and as the door slid open to reveal the same huge security guard who had escorted Zayn up to BB’s—Simon’s—office, he did the first thing that came to mind: he knocked the man unconscious and pushed his limp body into the corridor.

“Zayn. What the fuck is going on?” Niall panted, a crazy look in his usually ocean-blue eyes.

“No time to explain, we have to run,” Zayn retorted.

“Zayn, I need to know what’s happening! Please,” the blonde boy practically begged, tears beginning to swim in his eyes.

The lift lurched downward on the decent to the bottom floor, and Zayn thought out the quickest explanation he could come up with.

“BB—er, Simon—he knows I didn’t complete this Task. He knows I was too weak to kill you and that I have no intention of doing it any time soon. Basically, he and his goons are now after us both to finish off the Task and get rid of me in the process. That’s all I have time to explain, now we have to run!” he exclaimed as he grabbed Niall’s hand just as the ‘ding’ sounded and the sleek metal doors slid open.

Waiting just outside the lift doors were several huge men dressed in head-to-toe black. To Niall’s frightened eyes, they looked like something out of an action film, one that he definitely had no interest starring in. 

“Fuck,” Zayn swore, dropping Niall’s hand only to push the smaller boy behind him protectively. Much to Niall’s surprise, Zayn reached into the folds of his leather jacket and pulled out a small handgun and pointed it in the nearest man’s face like a true expert. “You have three seconds to back the fuck away from my boyfriend and me or my first bullet goes straight through your brain,” he warned the security guard.

When the large man showed no signs of letting up, Zayn advanced on him menacingly, pulling Niall along behind him with a fistful of the boy’s shirt so as not to leave him unshielded from BB’s loyal little guard hounds who disgraced the human population with their pathetic subservience.

“This isn’t a fucking toy, you know, and I’m not afraid to blow what few brains cells you posses to bits, so don’t fuck with me, mate,” Zayn hissed. Niall cringed at the venomous tone of his boyfriend’s voice; he had become so accustomed to the sweet, loving side of Zayn that he could almost forget his dark past. Almost.

“Boss says you’ve gone soft. Little Blondie here proves it. He was supposed to be dead and disposed of months ago, but poor little Zaynie couldn’t find it in him to kill the boy with the angelic face, now could he? Soft, Malik. Soft as a fucking teddy bear, you are.”

“Like hell I am,” Zayn spat. Crimson speckles flew around the room, marring the once impeccable white walls and floors, giving them a macabre splash of colour.