Chapter 10 - Dragon truths

©Sandra Corton 2015

Chapter 10 - Dragon facts

Millie yawned, as she stared around at the collection of dishes, which would now need cleaning. She spied the donuts that were yet to have their filling. A surprised smile filled her face that Duane hadn't eaten those too. She went to the fridge for some eggs, and decided to make some custard to fill them.

"You appear tired, Camille," Duane interrupted her actions.

"I am, it's been a pretty bizarre day,"

"Leave this." He gestured to the dishes.

"I need to make custard for the donuts." She protested.

"No, you certainly do not," he picked up the egg carton, and placed it back in the fridge. "You are going to rest."

Just as she went to argue, he scooped her into his arms. A squeal escaped her at his sudden move. He walked into the lounge room, and placed her gently on the couch. He sat down near her, but far enough away that he wasn't within touching distance.

"I can't leave that mess, it will drive me crazy thinking about it," she said, as she stretched out on the couch.

"What mess?" He asked with a twinkle in his eye.

"The kitchen," she pushed herself to her feet, and walked into the kitchen, only to find it sparkling clean. "What the heck?" Her mouth gaped open.

"Your house is much improved,"

"How? That makes no sense." She pointed to the kitchen, and then to Duane.

"A dragon has many secrets." His smile was mystifying.

"That you're not going to tell me?" She raised her brows.

"No, come and sit back down." He patted the seat beside him.

"Will your answer some of my questions?"

"I will certainly try."

"Firstly, what happened to the donuts?" She sent him a knowing look.

"I ate them," he admitted quickly. "Anything else?"

"Why does having the invitation make a difference tomorrow?" She asked as she sat back down on the couch.

"We must search for that." He clicked his fingers.

"That's easy, it was in my purse," she frowned. "You didn't answer my question."

"In your court system, you require evidence, correct?"

"Yes."

"That invitation is our evidence." He told her soberly.

"Oh, I see. Let me check my purse."

She went to where her luggage, which she had brought this morning sat. She reached for the purse that was sitting atop her suitcase. She searched through the small purse, amazed to find that the invitation was missing. She recalled placing it in there yesterday, before leaving her house.

"Did you find it, Camille?" Duane asked, as she puzzled over the missing content.

"No, I remember putting it in here, but it's not here," she dumped the contents onto the hall table.

"I was afraid of that," fire flared out of her front door, and bounced against the walls of the cave, as Duane vented his frustration.

"What do you mean?" She turned a confused face towards him.