Chapter 14 - Dragon ideas

"How did that happen?" Katrina's voice sounded at a distance, as Millie became alert.

"Camille is the true owner of the pearl. It is said to have done the same thing when Antoinette first held the pearl," Duane's awed voice answered.

"Is she okay?"

"Yes. She will awaken shortly." Duane's confidence in her, buoyed Millie to blink her eyes open, and try to sit up.

"What was that?" Millie uttered, as she shook her head.

"You are the true owner of the pearl." Duane's repeated words echoed in her head.

"Huh?"

"Here, hold it." Duane held out the shiny pearl, but Millie backed quickly away with her hands raised high.

"No, touching that thing knocked me out, so I'm not going near it," she stared dubiously at the gleaming pearl.

"Camille, I promise that it was just getting to know you."

"What?"

"It is believed that the pearl has an awareness. When Antoinette owned the pearl, she assured the dragon world that when it appeared, the pearl would always bring about positive change. You are the new owner of the pearl, Camille, therefore you are the change," he held it out to her again, but she only backed further away. "Perhaps, I should add it to my treasure until you are ready to accept it." He mused.

"That sounds like a good plan." Millie agreed, as she stared apprehensively at the pearl.

"Mills, I'm going out. I'll be back before dinner." Jake shouted out, capturing the adult's attention. Nobody questioned why he only told his aunt and not his mother, who stood close by.

"I'm sorry, but you must stay." Duane's stern words contradicted the agreement that Millie had upon her tongue.

"What?" She turned a glare towards Duane.

"With Cerise out there, it is unsafe for him to leave." Duane explained, and Millie nodded.

"Of course."

"Give me a moment." Duane turned away, as the younger man protested such demands. He ignored the argument to contact Kevina. He was due a meal, and now he would also have to hide the pearl, and find one of his portable dragon traps as well. It was going to be a busy morning.

"Kevina, it is time," he said into the phone.

"Brother, I shall be ringing the doorbell soon," Kevina sounded amused, as she hung up.

The room filled with tense, stale argument had quietened with Jake staring defiantly at his aunt. Duane huffed, emitting a smoky breath. Humans were ridiculously fearless at the worst possible times.

"I would suggest listening to your aunt," Duane stared the boy down, as he went to protest. "Unless you wish to die a horrible death, which Cerise will enjoy immensely, then I suggest you stay within the house." Duane stated with both calm and assurance, making Jake look to his aunt.

"I'm afraid it's true, honey." Millie agreed, and Jakes shoulders slumped.

The doorbell rang, and the room froze. Duane walked straight to it, knowing that Kevina waited on the other side. Millie sucked in a breath, and gathered Jake to her, readying herself for anything.

"Hello Duane, imagine seeing you here," Kevina's familiar voice helped Millie to relax.

"Kevina, we are in the kitchen," she called out, as she let go of Jake.