Chapter 12 - How to bring a dragon to tears

© Sandra Corton 2015

Chapter 12 - How to bring a dragon to tears

A week had passed, and Duane still had not even a vague idea of where the pearl existed. Between that and Millie's refusal to talk over their relationship, Duane felt defeated, and unsure of what step to take next.

The continuous rejection from his mate kept dragging down his temperament, leaving him constantly fearful or furious of what lay next for them. Convincing her that she was his mate seemed an impossible feat.

Today, he had to spend time at her human lair, and he already felt suffocated at just the thought of that. The only light he could see in this weekend was that he might have a chance to tell her properly that she was his mate.

"We have to get a move on," Millie ran frantically to where he sat awaiting her.

"I am ready to leave," Duane stated calmly.

"Oh, okay then," Millie eyed him sitting stiffly on the couch. "You seem upset."

"No, Camille, I am perfectly fine," he replied, as he stood fluently. "I suggest that we fly."

"Um, I'm not so sure about that." She gulped.

"I would never drop my mate." He snapped, and Millie winced.

He had tried for every spare minute of the past week to discuss their relationship. As soon as he did, Millie would divert his attention by asking something of the dragon world. She didn't want to hear that she was nothing to him, especially when she knew that was what he would say.

"Flying means that we can be there shortly," he said abruptly.

"Everyone will see us," she gulped, not enjoying the anger that she was sensing in Duane.

"Camille, I have been flying all week looking for the pearl, and nobody but my family knows that. We are like the creature that you call a chameleon. We blend and change could colours to suit our environment," he explained.

"Okay." She sounded a bit dubious.

"We must leave." Duane strode out of her house, and she grimaced.

She had made the dragon mad, and now she didn't know what to do. She tried to reassure herself that his frustration probably stemmed from the missing pearl. She knew that wasn't the only reason, and guilt plagued her.

The black dragon stood magnificent in the entryway of the lair. His talons clicked against the stone floor, showing his impatience. She wanted to speak, but when she opened her mouth, nothing came out. He laid his claw flat on the floor, and she stepped on without hesitation.

He was airborne once she was secure, and she glanced between his talons to watch the world fly past her. He had been right; he simply blended with the scenery. She wasn't sure how she looked, so she tried to make herself as small as possible, hoping that nobody could see her.

He landed on her street in the middle of the road and changed back. He held her in his arms, before setting her on her feet, without another word. She was hating this silence between them, but her words just didn't want to spill out.

"Uh, thank you," she told him politely.

"It is perfectly fine, Camille," Duane tilted his head her way. "One would assume that noise is your sister heading this way,"

Millie turned to look in the same direction that he was, and sure enough, her sister marched along the footpath, while yelling into her phone. Jake followed behind her, trying to distance himself from the embarrassment that his mother's loud voice was making on the early morning air.