Chapter 2

"Maria? Where are you?" I said over the phone. I tapped my foot impatiently. Maria was supposed to show up ten minutes ago. But, then again, this always happened.

"I'm coming!" Maria said and hung up. I sat on the brick wall of the fountain, feeling the cool spray of water near my back. That is, until five minutes later, when Maria came running.

"Where were you?" I asked, hopping off the wall.

"I accidentally fell asleep, sorry!" Maria pouted at me.

"Of course," I rolled my eyes. "Where are we going?"

"You'll see. Follow me," Maria started walking towards the forest.

"Um, why are we going to the forest?" I called out nervously.

"We're not," Maria said mysteriously.

I noticed that they were traveling the way to the Alpha's office.

"Maria..." I said in a warning tone.

"What?" Maria asked, sounding guilty.

"Are we going to go spy on the Alpha's meeting?" I asked. Maria froze and slowly turned around.

"Yes! But it's only because I want to know what happens!" Maria exclaimed.

"They'll tell us after the meeting concludes," I said.

"I know! But, I heard that Alpha Octavian is gorgeous! I don't care if I only get a glimpse of him, please Eve! Please come with me!" Maria begged.

"Uh, fine!" I sighed. Maria was totally boy-crazy.

"Thank you! You're the best," Maria flashed a quick smile then turned back around.

Ten minutes later, we were still walking.

"I'm pretty sure the meeting's already started," I commented.

"Yeah, I know. I don't care about what they're saying. Just what Alpha McHottie looks like," Maria said.

I gasped. "Maria! You can't say that!"

"Why? It's not like anyone can hear us!" Maria retorted.

"Still, show some respect. He's the Alpha of the number one pack in the world!" I exclaimed. Maria let out an exaggerated sigh.

"Whatever," We were silent for five minutes until Maria spoke up.

"Um, Eve? I think we're lost,"

"What? I thought you knew the way?" I asked her.

"I thought I did. All these trees look the same," Maria protested.

"You've been here before?" I asked her.

"Well..." Maria trailed off. "Yeah, once with Angelica," her bad role model of a cousin.

"Oh my god. I can't believe it! We're lost. And, if we tell our parents, we'll get in trouble," I started to hyperventilate.

"Eve, calm down. We'll find a way out of this. I promise," Maria said trying to calm me down.

"Okay, I'm good. I'm good," I said, getting her breath back.

"Let's just head back. Maybe we'll find our trail,"