CHAPTER 9

CHAPTER 9

I awoke early the next day tired, yet ready to start the journey yet again. Wasting no time, I grabbed my satchel and sword. I attached the sword to my belt and swiftly exited the room. I noticed the fairy dust and lamp were still in the bag, and I breathed a sigh of relief.

Finnegan was walking towards my room when he saw me. "Lovely morning, princess. How did you fare overnight?"

Do not let your guard down. "Well, thank you." I said, ending the well intentioned conversation abruptly.

"Shall we embark, then?" He asked, noticing me to be less talkative than the previous day. I nodded in response and we walked to the large doors and out the building.

The day was already quite warm, for it being slightly after dawn. Birds were singing, and the forest looked more welcoming than it had the previous night.

Finnegan and I passed through the village and were immediately on the endless main trail yet again. Often, I enjoyed to solitary effect it had. Today, however, I did not enjoy it as much. I was merely eager to arrive in Avalonia and stop the war.

While walking, I continued to daydream about the previous day. Finnegan attempted at conversations, but I gave small responses-- focusing on staying on guard.

Instead of making meaningless conversation, I envisioned the how the scene before the king would play. I would stand tall in front of him--not pleading, but more commanding-- and tell him to stop the war with Driere. Driere does not deserve this, I would say.

By the time I reached the castle, Finnegan would probably be on his way to Driere. Would I have a servant or a carriage take him back to his country?

A few hours later, we decided to take a rest. I walked to the edge of the forest and took a seat in the shade. The day was warming up dramatically; usually I had a high tolerance for heat, yet, today, I had none. I also had no patience for the wait until Avalonia.

"Shall I find something for us to eat?" Finnegan asked me, taking a seat on the forest ground to the side of me.

"It is alright. I need only a minute to rest." I stated, looking at the sword on my belt. Do not let your guard down, my mother's voice said in my head. I will not, I promised her memory.

A bird flew out of a tree next to us. I looked at where it had flown from.

"A nest, princess!" Finnegan leapt up and climbed the tree to reach the nest. He grabbed a few small eggs, and returned safely to the ground. He walked back over, collected a few sticks of firewood, and started a fire in only a moment.

"How did you do that?" I asked, shocked at his swift actions.

"Fire is second nature, lovely." He stated; I must have looked puzzled. "Dragon curse, remember?" Finnegan chuckled as I looked at my sword. Of course, I thought, feeling rather foolish.

Finnegan assembled a makeshift grate in order to place the eggs on top. He cracked one open, immediately dropping it on the warm forest floor.

I grabbed the hilt of my sword. "What is it?" I asked, both staring at the egg on the ground.

"A bird," he announced, using a stick to gently poke the shell.

"Is it dead?" I asked, slightly relaxing.

"I doubt it." Finnegan put the stick down and gently picked it up, placing it in the palm of his hand.

It was tiny, but fully feathered. It stood up on his hand, making small chirping noises towards Finnegan.