CHAPTER 13

CHAPTER 13

The sun arose and I found myself lying on a dragon. I shot up, before I remembered it was Finnegan. He was still asleep, so I leaned back again. The sword remained on the other side of the path, but I closed my eyes and listened to the birds chirping. Finnegan's breathing became shorter, and he stirred awake.

"Good morning, sunshine!" I exclaimed, overly elated for some reason, although the depression from last night's events and the uncertainty of our next move weighed on me. The dragon Finnegan groaned in response. "You still have not changed back." I sighed, my eyebrows pushing together.

Finnegan sighed. I assumed he meant to suggest what I feared. "You will change back." I said firmly. "And until then, shall we focus on returning to Avalonia?"

Finnegan shook his large head and I nodded, frowning. I stood up and grabbed my sword. "My father is an issue. We will figure something out, I promise you. There is no way you will be stuck a dragon forever."

I began walking down the trail and Finnegan stood and followed. I could not help but think how ironic this was: the princess of Avalonia traveling with a dragon. From Driere, nonetheless.

Two days remained until we would arrive at the capital of Avalonia: a day to the nearest village and a day from there to the castle. This part of Avalonia was relatively deserted, good for the companion I had.

We walked slower than the previous days, Finnegan trailing beside me. The day passed uneventfully. To my dismay, he remained a dragon.

As the hours passed, I started to doubt Finnegan would turn into himself again. An hour and a half before sunset, and I assumed if the sun set on the dragon version of Finnegan, the human version would not return.

"I have to sit down," I told him and took a seat on the side of the road. From my position, I could see the village, the first one in Avalonia.

Finnegan lied in front of me, dark eyes looking at me. "I still feel as if this were my fault." I said to him. "I am s-so sorry." My own eyes settled on the trail in the fading light. I closed them, resting my head on my knee.

"I was so selfish. All I was concerned with was my own life, but I have changed yours, also. I have been focused on returning to Avalonia and leaving you to follow me and do my bidding." I looked at Finnegan. "I can try to find a solution, but I do not require you to stay with me any longer."

To my dismay, the dragon stood up and walked away: down the trail with his scaly back facing me. "I did not really mean it," I whispered to myself, feeling emptiness inside myself. He was only a business partner, Cordy. Cordelia, I mean. I corrected myself meekly in my head.

I thought I could face everything. I fought my own battles, but here, I just sat, waiting for courage to arrive to talk to the king on my own. My mother had never taught me to confront someone. She neglected to mention dealing with heartbreak.

I thought I saw a golden light erupt from farther out, and footsteps approaching me. I feared it was just my imagination and refrained from looking. Pathetic, Cordy. My mother's voice told me. You were foiled by a dragon, just as I was. I thought you were stronger than I.

I sat up quickly, my eyes wide. To my surprise, Finnegan ran up to me, looking fully human. "I though you left!" I said quietly.

"I would not leave you," Finnegan told me as quietly as I did, his dark eyes full of concern. He was completely unruffled: clothing still mildly scorched from the oven that felt so long ago, curly hair still in place. "I think I have until sunset, lovely."