CHAPTER 10

CHAPTER 10

The early morning light began to meander into the dark sky, forcing me to sit up and look at it. I knew I would have to start moving, but I could not leave Finnegan. I had not yet told him goodbye.

My mother had never told me how to deal with deaths. The only thing she had never mentioned might have proved to be the most useful. First it was her, and now Finnegan.

I had to have cried more than I had for my mother's death, because I was so tired of crying by then. I knew I had to leave this place. Finnegan still rested on my lap, and I, in turn, was lying on him, hoping he would come back.

Footsteps sounded behind me, yet I stayed in my position. Come what may, I told myself.

"What ails you?" An odd voice vaguely reminded me of someone. I sat up, turning to the source.

"He- he is dead," I managed and gestured to the voice, of whom I was slowly recognizing. It was the medic from my injury, I realized. The boy ran over, sitting opposite me. Was his name Frederickson?

"Relax, princess Cordelia." He requested, and I looked at his light blue eyes. "I can try to do something for him."

I looked down at Finnegan's calm face, tears still flowing. It was no use; nothing natural could bring him back. "How?" I challenged.

"I can only try." Frederickson pulled out a bandage. I leaned away from Finnegan lying on me. He would not help, I told myself. Bringing someone back from the dead is impossible, especially with a mere bandage.

Frederickson slowly wrapped the bandage around Finnegan's stomach, ignoring the massive amounts of blood. I noticed Frederickson's lips moving, as if he were whispering something, just as he had done with my injury.

Just then, the oddest thing happened. Finnegan's chest moved, taking in a deep breath. I stared at him, eyes wide. "Impossible," I whispered, watching his eyes flutter open. Was it really him?

"How did you do that?" I demanded. "Can I trust you?" For all I knew, this could have been an elaborate scheme. Frederickson tied the bandage up.

"No trick, I promise. He was not dead, although he appeared to be." Frederickson announced, as if his statement solved everything. "Something was tying him here."

I had no clue as to what that was supposed to mean, but I wiped the tears from my eyes and smiled. "Finnegan!"

He sat up from my knees slowly, and looked at me, suddenly rather alarmed. "Lovely, are you alright?" Finnegan brushed a single curl out of my eyes. I looked down at him, fresh tears falling but happy ones this time.

"I am so glad you are alive," I said, my tears falling onto my lap, as he sat up. Although he looked confused, I wrapped my arms around him and leaned my forehead on his shoulder, holding him tightly.

Still confused, Finnegan gently returned the hug. "I thought I had lost you," I whispered, half- wishing he would not hear it. He pulled away and looked into my eyes, leaving his hands on my shoulders.

"Well that would not do, would it?" Finnegan said, and I laughed through the tears collecting on my cheeks. A small breeze blew, making the tears cool. He wiped them off with his thumbs, gently cradling my face in his palms. I looked at his right hand, still tearfully smiling.

"I suppose not," I admitted.

"I would not recommend exerting too much energy today," Frederickson interrupted, and I immediately remembered his presence. I looked over at him, deciding what to tell him.

"I do not know what you did, but rest assured you will be well rewarded." I promised him, hoping the king of Avalonia would oblige. I made a note to tell him how he greatly helped me, yet I wondered if the king would see helping me fit for a reward.

"I do not require a reward," he contradicted. "All I wish for is you to have a safe journey." With that, he started walking down the path, towards the village.

"Thank you." Finnegan called out, turning back to me. "Would you like a rest before we begin again?"

I wiped the rest of my tears off of my face. "You are the one who was stabbed." I pointed out, noticing his look of genuine concern.

Finnegan smiled at me. "I am not as bad off as you are, beautiful."

"I will be fine," I announced, but my eyes brimmed with tears yet again. Why was I so upset?

Finnegan returned to being concerned. He held his right hand out for me to take. "Are you positive, my dear?"

I took it, and he stood up --wincing a little-- before pulling me up with him. We started to walk, and I remembered how I was still gripping onto his hand. I refrained from letting go, telling myself I would after my tears were dry. The midmorning light shone to the left of us, so I looked towards the right.

The trail seemed to become shorter and more welcoming than previously. Remembering the lamp, I stopped.

"Finnegan," I started, tears mostly dissipated, but returning as I had to deliver the news. "The lamp was a fake. I am so sorry."

Finnegan pursed his lips, and I took my hand out of his. "I was aware, princess. Perhaps I was hoping for some magical solution in Rhelawen."

"You knew, all this time?" I asked, eyes drying.

Finnegan nodded. "I was aware most of the time. I am the one who should be sorry."

I frowned, the dried tears on my face creating an itchy membrane. "In that case, why did you follow me?" For a moment, I wondered to my previous thought from days ago: what if he was indeed trying to kill me?

"I want to see Driere and Avalonia fighting as much as you do, princess. If there is anything I can do to assist your cause while there, I will; I want to help." Finnegan looked determined, and I wondered how I should tell him how kings commonly ignore commoners. In addition, Finnegan was living in the opposing country; I was unsure of how the king or the armies would react.

Instead of mentioning these slight issues, I smiled. "I am sure I will require your help."

We continued walking, and I tried not to imagine the look on the king's face after my return to the castle. He would be furious, I realized. Would he be so blinded by anger to not listen to my plea?

And, what was I to do for Finnegan? I had promised the solution, yet failed to deliver it to him. I could not bear the thought of letting him down when he had worked hard to ensure my happiness and safety. There had to be some cure in Avalonia for him.

I looked over at Finnegan, focused on the trail in front of him. His leather shirt was torn and bloody, but he moved swiftly. Again, I was reminded and bewildered at his immediate healing, but I forced my mind to think of something else.

For a small moment, I admired his kindness and determination in this journey that would have no satisfactory ending for him. He noticed my look and grinned at me. I turned back to the path immediately, hoping I did not become too pink in the process.

"It is not all that far to Avalonia," Finnegan assured me, his Drierian accent ringing in the silence of the forest surrounding us. Yet again, a pang shot through my stomach at the thought of facing the king. My assumption of what he might say became all I could think about.

"Will you be next to me when I talk to the king?" I asked, then immediately looked at the gravel. He looked over.

"Of course, lovely." Finnegan assured me. "Must I disguise myself in fancy clothing?"

"Of course," I responded mockingly. "The fanciest."

Finnegan looked at the cerulean sky expectantly and sighed. "Indeed."

I resumed my focus on walking forward, noticing another bend in the trail. Trees still covered either sides; birds chirped from their nest, stopping upon sighting Finnegan and I.

The temperature was hot, yet bearable, and I stared at the small wisps of clouds high in front of us. I looked over at Finnegan again, and my sister, Melisande, came to my mind. She was the biggest flirt of the family; I wondered what she might have to say about Finnegan. More so, I wondered the amount of gossip she would have about us.

I quickly shoved the thought out of my mind; I had never been the sort to even think about gossip. Finnegan noticed me staring, and I turned my attention back to the clouds.

"Staring, my lady?" Finnegan asked, his tone arrogant.

"You would wish," I responded simply. We continued walking in silence; enjoying it instead of feeling awkward. Within hours, another village came into sight.

Finnegan led me to a nearby inn, where we ate supper. It was alright, for I had little appetite, despite the long day of walking.

With the thought of Melisande plaguing me, I wondered how the other sisters were faring. Adeline was flourishing in finishing school; I would take a guess to say she was leading many of the classes. Indira was polite--she probably was able to at least survive there. Melisande probably adored the company of others and the gossip. The only thing that would make finishing school even better was if boys attended. If we had a better relationship and were --of course-- in the company of each other, I would most likely tease her about the very fact. Evangeline did not even cross my mind.

"You are quiet tonight, princess," Finnegan stated, and I looked up from the soup I had been staring at. For some reason, I was suddenly reminded of, hours ago, Finnegan waking up from the dead and the immediate concern on his face.

"I was thinking about my family," I said, then wondered why I had spoken. This was rather out of turn, for me. Silently, I wondered why this was happening; I used to be able to keep my thoughts to myself. What would I spill out next?

"Do you wish to talk about it, princess?" Finnegan held my gaze and I smiled, quickly turning my mind to something else.

"I am alright. Thank you, Finnegan." I told him, and looked back to my stew, his stare still unwavering. I had not noticed what it was made of, and now I wondered. Perhaps it was made of lamb or beef.

"Shall we be off to our rooms, Cordy?" He asked after a few moments of silence. I agreed and we went to our respective rooms.

Fortunately, no robbers broke in during the long night. I eventually was able to get a portion of sleep; however, the next day dawned quickly and I rose out of bed. Satchel and sword in arm, I walked into the halls, where I saw Finnegan waiting for me.

"Do you ever rest?" I asked him.

Finnegan grinned, an expression too early in the day for most normal people. "Hardly, lovely. Did you sleep well?"

I raised a single eyebrow at him. "Alright."

We walked to the stone stairs and made our way to the dining hall, which was mostly empty. "Are you hungry?" Finnegan asked.

I nodded, and we took a seat, serving from the serving bowls sprawled out on the table. I glanced around at the few civilians scattered in seats around the room. A familiar ashy- blonde sat on one off the benches, inconspicuously facing away.

"Hold on a second," I whispered and stood up quietly, grabbing the hilt of my sword.

"Cordy?" Finnegan questioned, but I continued, walking to the source of my suspicion sitting across the room. Finnegan followed behind me, and I quietly stepped behind the figure, pulling out my sword cautiously.

As soon as I was positive as to whom he was, I swung my sword around his head, stopping at his neck. Switching my hands, I turned to face Frederickson.

"Cordy!" Finnegan whispered, but I ignored him.

"Who are you," I demanded, "and why are you following us?"

His eyes were wide from fear, contrasting from his usual calm and collected expression. I shoved the sword closer to his neck, cautious as to not injure him, only scare him.

"I am no one, princess Cordelia." Frederickson stated.

"Why are you following us?" I repeated, glaring at him.

"Cordy, are you not a bit harsh? Many travelers stop at inns." Finnegan reasoned, and I used my boot to step on his. The other few travelers, scattered around the hall, started to stare at the scene taking place.

"You are up to something, I know it." I glared at Frederickson. "You also 'conveniently' forgot to mention how you performed the magic tricks you do."

"Do you wish I had left both of you to die?" Frederickson asked quietly. I looked over at Finnegan, who gave Frederickson an apologetic look.

"I am grateful," Finnegan pointed out with his Drierian accent, a dramatic contrast to Frederickson's and my Avalonian accent. Frederickson looked pointedly to me, yet his eyes were still fearful. He grabbed the table behind him with both hands.

"You are from Avalonia, are you not?" I asked Frederickson. He nodded slightly, as much as he could without slicing his neck. "I am the princess there, and I can command you to tell me exactly what you want with us."

To my surprise, he laughed, and my glare hardened. "Your authority card holds nothing on me."

"Then I shall have you put to death," I threatened, bluffing, but neither Finnegan nor Frederickson thought it was an empty threat. Finnegan looked positively alarmed, and Frederickson stiffened in fear.

"Fine, princess Cordelia." Frederickson started, and I released the sword slightly, so he could speak. "I heard rumors about a band of fairies pillaging the next town over, and I wanted to make sure everyone would be alright."

I dropped my sword from his neck, facing it towards the ground. Evangeline. I would have to confront her. Focusing again on the interrogation, I glared at him. "What business do you have with the fairies?"

"I know one of them, princess Cordelia, before she was a fairy." Frederickson almost sounded sad. Finnegan looked over, concerned for me, I assumed.

"I am a fool," I stated, starting to turn around. "I apologize for my ignorance. Shall we be off, Finnegan?"

For a slight second, Finnegan's expression reminded me of how my father used to look at my mother, before she was killed. "If you wish."

"Would you mind if I accompany the two of you?" Frederickson stood up, and I noticed he was taller than I and shorter than Finnegan. I turned back around, grabbing my sword.

"Cordy," Finnegan lightly touched my shoulder. "I believe we should allow him to join us."

I pulled my sword out from my belt and sighed. "Fine."

Frederickson smiled a weak smile, and I turned on my heel and walked out, sword still in my hand.

"Cordy!" Finnegan called out, catching up to my fast stride. "Lovely, I believe we should trust Frederickson. He obviously will have an advantage."

"Since when have you been so trusting?" I asked. "Something seems off about him."

"Did something seem off about me when we met, beautiful?" Finnegan asked, raising his eyebrows.

"Well, of course, yet..." I trailed off. "He looks familiar, as if I should know him, and many people I have met are not who they say they are."

Finnegan looked guilty, and then shifted expressions to a smile. "I must remind you that I have a curse. I will protect you if the need should arise, lovely."

Frederickson caught up, walking quickly but normally. I looked at him, trying to analyze him. Perhaps I would learn something about him.

Frederickson was most definitely from Avalonia. Even his appearance would tell me so much; shorter, light skin, ashy hair-- I noticed it was short but curly; if it grew out it would be as curly as mine-- light blue eyes, cheekbones. His hair was the oddest part, however: I had yet to meet anyone with hair like mine. He had a quiet personality, well- mannered but weak. I got the distinct impression someone had forced him to run away.

"Where did you grow up, Frederickson?" I asked, not unkindly but not warmly, either.

"In Avalonia, then Rhelawen, princess Cordelia." Frederickson stated simply. Finnegan's look warned me I should not press on, yet I was still suspicious.

We entered the trail again, and I kept close to Finnegan, still clutching my sword. Finnegan looked confused by my closeness, so I took a few steps ahead.

This next village came into view too soon, and I halted my steps. The trail overlooked a small cluster of buildings, and although I did not notice at first, bodies lay on the ground between the buildings. It was dead still, and I gasped when I realized the bodies were dead.

Frederickson had been right. He walked up next to me, his face becoming as white as a sheet. Finnegan stepped to the other side of me, taking in the scene with a troubled expression on his face.

I caught a glimpse of a few figures-- motion in the eerie stillness. They had to be fairies: their movements too fluid to be human.

"It will be alright, my lovely." Finnegan whispered from beside me. "It will not be an issue to avoid the village."

"No," I responded. "I must face her."