CHAPTER 11

CHAPTER 11

My legs carried me down the hill and directly into the village, although I tried to force them to a halt.

Immediately, I noticed how the view from the hill had done the village little justice: it was enormous and glorious, if it were not drenched in the blood of the dead bodies. I retched, forcing myself not to glance at the massive piles. Had Evangeline wreaked this much havoc and chaos to an innocent village? The sting of betrayal shot through me, stronger than the first time and Finnegan's admittance.

Finnegan ran behind me, staring straight ahead. His eyes were full of a blend of sorrow and terror, yet he continued moving quickly. Frederickson stumbled to keep up, and I noticed him analyzing the victims, most likely searching his thoughts for a method of healing them.

The band of fairies was closer than we expected; I unsheathed my sword in anticipation. Evangeline was the most recognizable individual, so I sprinted to her, holding my sword against her neck--effectively pinning her against a blood-stained shack.

"What have you done?" I demanded threateningly, not allowing my hands to shake as they so wanted to. Evangeline stared at me coldly--her eyes the shade of mine but deeper. Evangeline was not cold or uncaring, unlike this monster I held against my blade.

In my peripheral vision, I noticed Frederickson glaring daggers at Evangeline, while Finnegan was dodging fairy magic. I doubted he would hold up against the fairies much longer, and we would be severely outnumbered. I could hold my side, however, and I knew Finnegan was an excellent swordsman. Frederickson did not seem to have any experience, talent, or a sword.

Evangeline took hold of the bladed side of my sword, closing her hand around it and attempting to push it towards me. I again forced it towards her, using as much power as I could to maintain the sword's position. Her grip was tight; her eyes were merciless.

"I did what I had to do," she sneered, and I drove the sword further into her neck.

"What have you done with my sister?" I asked again, hearing numerous thuds behind me. My stomach turned over itself as I hoped Finnegan was uninjured.

Evangeline laughed--a cold laugh so unlike her--and smiled evilly. "Do you not understand how I am your sister?" This monster I was holding simply could not be Evangeline. She was the stark opposite; gentle and kind. I refused to accept an alternate idea.

This development seemed to be so abrupt. The last time I truly saw Evangeline was when she was herself--at least half herself, until she nearly killed me.

I searched my peripheral vision again, noticing Finnegan running up to Evangeline and I. Frederickson walked up to my other side.

"They are merely unconscious, beautiful." Finnegan assured me, and Evangeline's eyes flickered to him, scrutinizing. She smirked at me.

"Found yourself a handsome prince, did you?" Evangeline asked me mischievously, sounding as Melisande would sound in one of her gossiping sessions. Evangeline was always too sensible to be a scandalmonger.

"He is not a prince," I told her. "And I command you to stop dawdling."

"An amateur move," Evangeline expressed to Finnegan. "Your tactics are less than ideal. I know who you are."

The last sentence was spoken with so much poise that it made me take a step backwards. "Tactics?" I turned to Finnegan. In front of me, Frederickson took a step to where I previously stood. I let him seize hold of my sword, turning my full attention to Finnegan.

"I do not have any 'tactics,'" Finnegan assured me. "I fear she may be trying to turn us against each other, lovely."

I stared at him, trying to detect truth inside his statement--to my relief there was some. "What shall we do about them?"