Chap Five

The 'Cave' was in actuality a cavern that was under the house. No one was sure when it had been dug, but it had been there way before the first colonist had arrived. Of that I was sure.

Following the steps downwards, the marble would eventually become stone, and after stepping out from the last step, one would only have to take a left to find themselves in a huge stone chamber.

Symbols were carved into the stone, their meaning lost in time. There were some faces of past leaders etched there as well, their somber expressions staring down at us in silent judgment.

My father and mother were already on the raised stage. My mother was wearing a similar design as me, but it was purple, which befitted the Beta. The gold lining her gown denoted her as wife to the alpha, the head of our tribe.

My father wore bright red, the color of fresh blood. He wore a cloak of fur, denoting his Alpha class. He had already taken a seat in his chair, his eyes focused on those congregating below.

My brother walked in passed me. I quickly dropped my eyes and hunched my shoulders. He barely gave me a glance. His Roman like robe and skirt were a darker red, burgundy. It denoted him as the next alpha. I watched him as he arrogantly took his stance behind Father.

Chelsey wasn't too far behind, as she came waltzing in in a light purple gown. She stopped, seeing me, her eyes narrowing. "So, the pest got dressed up too." She scoffed at the color. "Dung, it's perfect for you."

With her snide remark ringing in my ears, she continued inside and took a place beside Mom.

I stood indecisively. Could I leave and they not notice? But my mother, seeing me and pointedly staring, destroyed my hopes of disappearing.

Reluctantly, I walked into the room, walking up the steps quickly. I knelt on a pillow that sat closer to the stairs. It was so I could take items from those who had offerings and such.

My head bowed, I just decided to daydream my way through this meeting and then when it was over, get back to doing my homework.

The ceremony began with the opening of the large doors that were opposite our slightly raised dais. The first to enter was the head of the Talve family pack. They all wore their traditional garb that put me in the mind of Vikings.

The leader of the family was named Warrick. His heavy beard was a matchup of grey and blonde hair. His head was freshly shaven and his face was disgruntled as usual. Warrick made it no secret that he thought he could be a better tribe leader than my father.

He was gruffly followed by his entourage. They all shared his blue eyes, pale skin, and an icy composure.

After they had taken their seats, they were followed by the Ryans, a family that was known for their more modern beliefs. They were added in 2000 because they managed to anger the tribe in Atlanta by encroaching on the business territory of the other group.

Father had eagerly added their head, Trevor Ryan, to our tribe. Trevor sauntered in as usual, overly confident with a slight smirk on his face. Since his pack was newly formed, they wore semi-formal clothes.

Trevor shot a wink at Chelsey, who scoffed. Of course, Rorik growled at this, showing his protective streak. Trevor raised two hands in innocence. Still chuckling, he took his seat, with the rest of his family falling in behind him.

Finally, came the Argint family. They were as old as Father, their heavy Italian roots tying them to past kings.

Argint, himself, was a thin but tall man clothed in severe black. His eyes were hard as they swept the chamber. He strode over to the seating area. Those behind him wore black as well. A flash of gold here and there denoted them as "special" members, but since I rarely stayed too long, I didn't know any of his people.