Newt X Reader: Paradise Part 3

A/N

Hello my lovelies! First off, I wanna once again thank each and everyone of you for reading this book! (So close to 4k :D). So thank you and know that it means so much to me when you vote/comment/request.  Have a nice day, stay insane!

(Sorry it's a little shorter than usual but I've been busy and super stressed out with school and just life in general tbh)

Enjoy!

(AwkwardlyCuteNewt)

Paradise. You thought. What an unfortunate name for somewhere so hopeless. Hopeless to you anyway. 

This wasn't paradise.

As much as you loathed Newt, you missed him. It had been a full month since he'd moved to what was known as The South. In Paradise, you were assigned to live in The North City, but Newt had left without warning and they didn't stop him. You missed him yet you couldn't stand the sight of him.

"Hey, Y/N!" Minho called you over as you walked into the building. Arrays of sofas and bean bags lined the floor and Gladers were laid about on them. You took a red arm chair and perched on the edge, not planning to stay for long. Sleep. That's what you needed. Alice was next to Minho, her arms resting on her knees casually, her brown hair in a messy high pony tail. Not many people could pull off a messy hairstyle but Alice was certainly one who could.

 "How are you doing?" She asked, her eyes filled with concern. It took you a good moment to realise she wasn't just asking you, but Minho as well. After all, he'd lost a close friend. Someone he'd known for as long as he could remember. "I'll live, I'm more worried about you though, Y/N." Minho answered and turned towards you, his eyebrows raised. 

"I'm fine, Minho honestly." You insist. 

"Are you sure Y/N?" Alice persisted to ask you. You nodded, unsure.

"I'm gonna get some rest," You announce "Night guys." 

"Woah, Y/N it's only eleven pm- we party hard, remember?" Minho chuckled and you smiled weakly in return. You were going to miss Minho while you were gone.

That's right. You were going. You were going to The South. Despite everything you still wanted to make sure Newt was okay. It was infuriating.

*****************************************************************************************************

THE SOUTH

The south was a mirrored image of The North and half the time you expected to see Minho or Thomas as you turned the corner. But instead, you saw him. Soft blond locks fell neatly on his pale face almost meeting his squared jaw and his eyes were tired and guilt-ridden. He hadn't seen you, he was leant up against an apple tree staring at the floor. 

You didn't know how long you'd been standing there but it was long enough to have considered going back. You hovered, torn between him and the road back. Your feet seemed to have decided before your brain and you were halfway across the green. You tried calling for him but your voice box collapsed. Even when you were stood directly in front of him he took a while to bother looking up. 

His blank expression met your nervous eyes. Nothing. His face remained and it was as though he was looking through you at the tree opposite.Your heart sank, did he care? No. Of course he didn't care. Why did you even bother coming? He left you, remember?

 "Newt...?" You managed, your voice barely a whisper. He blinked a few times and his jaw clenched. 

Again, nothing.

But then, something.

Out of his reddened eye, escaped a tear and he shot his arm up to wipe it away. But you'd seen it fall.

"Newt, please. Talk to me." You begged, your eyes now glistening.  

"...Y/N...I'm so sorry..." He managed before breaking down into tears. Slumping down against the trunk, he brought his head to his knees and his hands covered his face. Without hesitation you raced down next to him and brought his trembling body into your embrace. You cried too. Tears you'd tried so hard to contain.

After what could have been minutes, hours, days even, it didn't matter, you broke the silence. "I know you're sorry, but you have to understand I still don't trust you, and I don't want to be with you yet...maybe never. I can't say. But I can't lose you." 

Newt uncurled himself and looked at you properly for the first time in months. "Thank you, I'm such a bloody shank Y/N...Thank you-" Newt began but you cut him off before he could finish. 

"Nope, I'm not saying it's not true," You laugh under your breath a little "But I don't want to hear it. We're starting again, Newt. Good that?"

"Good that." He smiled and you smiled too.

And that was enough for now.

Smirking, you added:

"I'm still massively pissed off with you though."