Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen

The small prey dove out of my grasp. I skidded across the wooden surface, roaring in frustration. He was quick. But I was quicker.

He yelled in his incomprehensible tongue like I would understand. I understand only the hunt.

I heard the beating of feet running at me. I turned and swatted a man-spawn, my claws raking across his iron skin. He flew back against the wall. I smelled the blood pouring out of him. I took a step to him, relishing in the fear I saw in his eyes.

A hot, searing pain exploded on my back. Furious, I spun and saw the small prey with a ball of hot light in his hand. He threw it at my face. I blocked it with my arm, swatting it away like a pest. This one I was going to devour slowly.

No.

I stopped, my feet unable to move. I fought and howled but my feet remained firm.

Release me.

The voice was small, so small. Just a whimper. Like a newborn pup. Weak.

My eyes locked onto the small preys. I snarled in fierce joy, knowing that he would be mine. His blood would wet my tongue.

My feet released from their stupor and I lunged, my eyes locked on his throat. The small prey jumped off the wall where the rest of my prey watched. Several raised their steel to me, wanting to fight me. I wanted it. I needed it! But the small prey spoke and they stopped.

Foolish man-spawn! Fight me and die!

I leaped over the wall into the center of my circle of prey. I could hear their hearts pounding in their chests. I could hear their blood pumping through their veins. I could smell their fear in the air. It was so thick I could drown in it.

I let out one last earth-shaking roar and ran to the small prey.

Then I was thrown into a far wall. I bounded off it, dazed and angry. Who would dare attack me during my feast?!

I rose, shaking the dust and debris from my mane. The man-spawn fled from me. But I was no longer interested in them. Instead my attention fell to another of my kind, standing tall in the center of my circle. The small one safely behind her.

I sniffed the air for its scent. A female, I smelled. Her blood scent was familiar.

"Blood of my blood," I said to her. She was a packmate.

"You have lost control!" she snarled. "Leave now or I will be forced to hurt you."

I bared my teeth, a grin and a snarl in one. "You dare take my prey from me!"

"These are not your prey!" she roared, lunging at me. "You have lost control, blood of my blood. This is not you!"

Release me.

The voice was more than a whimper now. I saw a man-spawn facing down a great wolf, both ready for battle. The wolf howled as I felt one leave my throat.

"If you want my prey," I told her, "you must take it from me!"

She fell down to all fours and snarled. "So be it."

She charged me, just a blur against the wind, and smashed me against the wall. I snapped at her throat, but she was faster. She leapt up and swiped me with her claws. A sharp pain shot through my abdomen. Blood gushed through the three long slashes.

I leapt at her, snapping my teeth and she just swatted me away. Her deep, yellow eyes tore into mine and I saw the wolf fighting the man-spawn. No, the woman.