Chapter Twenty-Six

Chapter Twenty-Six

The embers of the hearth had long since died away, leaving only a slight orange twinge to the cracked ashes. Had it not been for the light of the moons hanging low in the midnight sky shining through the windows, unobstructed by the thick curtains hanging to the sides, the chamber would have been plunged in total darkness, just the way Mikald preferred the sleep.

I had gotten used to sleeping under the sky these past few months, or beside a campfire, places were complete darkness could not exist. And here, this far to the north, the night lights could be seen, illuminating the black of the sea with shades of blue and green and violet. Perhaps that was why I stood on the balcony that night, looking over the Sea of Ghosts stretching far and far to the north to the frozen tundra of the old home, Atmora.

A cold, northern wind blew through the furs draped over my otherwise naked body. I shivered, pulling the furs tighter, but could not relinquish my place.

I glanced over my shoulder into the open door and onto the bed. Mikald's sleeping form was stretched out across the bed, his face buried in the pillow and arms reaching across where my body was supposed to be. The blankets covered the lower half of his body, minus one bare leg hanging out. I watched the muscles of his back tighten and relax with each breath.

I turned back around and sighed a deep sigh. Perhaps I was standing out here because I enjoyed the view. Or perhaps it was because I couldn't stay in there any longer.

The plan with the Reguards was working thus far, I should be happy. The why did I feel so... unsatisfied?

There were things that still needed doing, I decided. Though what those things were, I had no idea. All I knew was that I couldn't be here right now, just sitting and letting the dust gather on me.

With the skill of an accomplished thief, I silently slipped back into the room and gathered my clothes, dressing as I went. Even a cat would have had difficulty detecting me that night.

I slipped past every guard and sentry posted inside and outside the palace using all the tricks I had learned over the years. And a few secret passages.

It was almost no time before I was out of the confines of the palace walls and into the less-confining space of the city. But even with the walls trapping me within the city, it still tasted of freedom. And there were no crowds to pollute this serene scene.

The streets were walked by the guards, the drunks, and the beggars at this time of night. There were other, less savory characters, that prowled the city too, I knew. But they never roamed the streets. I knew because I was once one of them. Instead, I kept my eyes on the rooftops and in the shadowed places.

My feet carried me away from the palace and towards the other side of the Valunstrad, the "Avenue of Valor" in the old language. I adjusted my stride to one that would not mark me as a noblewoman and to one of a commoner as to not attract attention to myself. The last thing I needed was some opportunistic moron receiving my blade in his throat.

Without any intervention on my part, I was guided through the residential neighborhood and down the street to Hjerim, one of my father's many houses. One of my houses now, I assumed. In truth, I didn't know how my father's inheritance would be split up among myself and all of my siblings. I was not his eldest, but I was his legacy, the only one to bear his name. And the only one born of his wife, my mother. I would have to call to the four corners just to find all of them if I wished it.

I had fond memories of this house, as well as some not so fond. Most of my childhood was spent here so Ulfric could keep my father close at hand. I think it started out with Ulfric wanting him around as a deterrent. He had made many enemies in his rise to power and keeping the Dragonborn around like a dog on a leash showed what power he held in his palm. But to say that their relationship remained as master-servant would be to disrespect everything their friendship stood for. I don't think Ulfric ever had many friends, true friends, who didn't remain loyal because of his position, but because of his heart. But that was the relationship between my father and Ulfric. It was a relationship I had been jealous of.