Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen

On the first day out of my quarters, my own prison cell, I noticed how every soldier watched me with wary in their eyes. No matter how much reassuring both Rhythe and Vulfa did, all they could see was the beast. I wanted to laugh and tell them I wasn't even a werewolf, I just had a ring that could turn me into one. But that would likely cause more suspicion has the ring in question was a Daedric artifact. And so I walked the lonely path, my peripherals always in focus.

The three long scars going across my chest were healing to a light pink now, thanks to Rhythe's healing magic. They were just a few more strokes of paint added to the canvas that was my body.

The pain had mostly subsided by now, only a few lingering bruises and muscle aches held on. I would have been happy to leave earlier, but Rhythe was insistent that we wait until I was healed to his satisfaction. And, thankfully, today was that day.

The soldiers of Greenwall Fort were kind enough to give us enough supplies to make it to Windhelm and then some. I firmly believed they just wanted to hurry and be rid of us.

Vulfa, Rhythe, and I set off through the north gate of the fort, never looking back. I was only too glad to be rid of it. The few times I had been there had rarely been pleasant visits. Even now, I was fairly certain that Hvetti Oakenshield was never to be welcomed there again.

On the road, Vulfa took point while Rhythe and I lagged behind, my aches still mildly limiting my mobility, much to my rancor. Just two or three days more of this and I would be seeing the walls of Windhelm and this quest would be nearing its end.

"She certainly likes to walk fast," Rhythe said as he motioned to Vulfa who was just a blurry figure down the road.

I grinned, chuckling. "She's never been one to stay somewhere where I am in close proximity. I'm not complaining."

Even from this distance, I could make out Vulfa's head turning to glare. "Do you think she can hear us?" Rhythe asked nervously.

"Yes!" Vulfa's voice echoed out.

On que, Rhythe and I burst into a fit of laughter. A spasm of pain shot through my abdomen, forcing me to stop and bend over. Rhythe gently placed his hand on the small of my back, asking if everything was okay. I uncurled from my position, keeping my arms protectively over my stomach and nodded.

"I'll be fine," I said through clenched teeth. "Just have to walk it out."

"We can take a break if you want," he said. "If you reopen your wounds, you'll be out for more than just a few minutes."

"I said I'm fine," I snapped, forcing my way ahead of him.

We walked in silence until the sun began to turn orange, him a few steps behind me every step of the way.

The buildings of Shor's Stone came upon the horizon. "We should stop here for the night," I said. "They're inn is small, but it's better than sleeping on the ground."

"As you say," Rhythe stated, his voice a monotone.

Vulfa met us at the entrance of the little town, her arms crossed and her foot tapping. "It's about time you showed up, sis. I thought you might've gotten eaten by the wolves."

"Disappointed?" I asked as I shouldered past her.

"Only moderately." Vulfa looked around the town, obviously unimpressed with its small town charms. "Seems like a place this small wouldn't have even bothered with an inn."

"It's fairly recent," I said, pointing to a small wooden building built into the ground. Smoke poured out of the opening of the roof, warmly inviting us in. They followed me up to the building where a carved sign read, Redbelly Inn.