Chapter One

January 22, 2019, Slum Sector

Jongin knew it was impossible to fight. The feeling was overwhelming. He's been doing the same thing for 14 years. Since he was five. Except it wasn't illegal til 6 years ago, when he was 13. The music started and Kai's body moved to the beat almost effortlessly.

January 22, 2019, Capital

Kyungsoo wound up the box. The music played quietly and Kyungsoo smoothly swayed to the melody. He had known music and dance for years before everything changed when he was 12. Now the only music he hears is from a small ballerina jewelry box. He tries to mimic the dancer whenever he's desperate enough for what he truly wants.

Do Kyungsoo is 18 and lives in the capital. His father is the 'president' of the new world. His father has always been in congress but soon there was a war and his father has been ruling for 6 years. Kyungsoo has always known that his father was more of a dictator though. Kim Jongin is 19 and lives in the slum sectors. His parents had been killed in front of him when the new 'president' took over. His parents were sweet, caring people. His mother owned a flower shop (Kyungsoo's favorite place to visit). His father was a chef and a Korean renowned ramen shop.

"Appa! I'm going out!" Kyungsoo yelled.

"Bring a guard." His father said from behind him.

"Appa, I don't want to."

"You're the president's son. Bring a guard."

"No."

"You don't want people to know who you are?" His dad asked, puffing in proudness.

"No." Kyungsoo replied bluntly.

"And why not?"

"Maybe because i'm not proud."

"You should be. You're the son of the world ruler."

"Maybe I don't want to be."

"Watch it Kyungsoo."

"No, you kill people for fun! You're a horrible leader! Have you seen the slum sectors? You claim you want peace for everyone but look at what you did."

"I am the best president there was and ever will be."

"You're a useless dictator who will be assassinated eventually."

Smack.

"Watch it Kyungsoo."

"I'm going for a walk. Keep your stupid guards."

Jongin's lungs burned. His hips ached. His heart raced. The dog behind him seemed to not have any similar symptoms. For the thousandth time, Jongin was being chased for dancing. Dancing is a form of expression. It's banned nationwide. Expression brings rebellion in the 'president's' eyes. Jongin passed a black haired boy with wide owl eyes. His white skin contrasted with his dark hair and eyes. His flawlessness trapped him.

Yelp.

Kai examined the scene in front of him. The wide eyed boy and just snapped the neck of a trained military dog with ease. The boy had tears in his eyes and a red handprint on his cheek.

"Are you okay?" Kai asked. By the outfit this boy was definitely not from a slum sector.

"I'm fine." He muttered.

"Here, come on." Jongin led the boy to his mother's old flower shop. Kyungsoo smiled at the place. This boy is so familiar. Maybe that's why he saved him, or maybe because he pretended that the dog was his dad. Jongin smiled at the old furniture and pots. Then it clicked.

"I'm so sorry." Kyungsoo whispered.

"Huh? Why?"

"You're that little boy. That sat in the corner as his mom worked. You had a little blue toy truck. I'm so sorry."

"Why do you keep saying that?"

"Your parents."

"Oh, uh. It couldn't be helped. It's all the dictator's doing anyway, so why would you apologize?" Kyungsoo looked down in guilt.

"I don't know. I grew up going here. Your mother was the kindest woman i've met. She used to put lilies behind my ear and she even gave me a birthday present one year when my dad forgot my birthday."

"Oh. Yeah. She was the best. So you were that little black haired boy with the lilly behind his ear whenever I saw him."

"Yeah, that's me."

"Well, nice to meet you, i'm Jongin."

"I'm Kyungsoo."

"And i'm Kris."