Chapter 1

Rowans POV

I couldn't sleep. Every time I closed my eyes the same scene flashed through my head. There was a woman. She walked over to me and kissed my forehead. Then a shadow appeared over me. It raised its hand and the woman got lifted to the ceiling. Then the room burst into flames.

I don't know who the woman is but she seemed familiar. I turned over restlessly. That nightmare has haunted me for several weeks now. Its Like a movie, playing the same scene over and over.

I felt my eyelids beginning to drop, even though I was trying so hard to stay awake. I couldn't bare another night of watching that woman die. My eyesight went hazy and my eyelids closed.

*

Suddenly, I sat bolt upright, the memory of the nightmare still clinging to my brain. After taking a few breaths, I led back down, running my fingers through my short hair. It was sticky and smelt of sweat.

My bedroom door burst open and a woman stormed in. She strode over to my curtains and ripped them open, sending sunlight spilling onto my face.

"Get up Rowan Winchester! This is a care home, not a bloody hotel!" The woman said, before throwing a pile of school clothes at the end my bed.

I groaned and slid my feet out of the bed. Rubbing my eyes, I trudged across the room and opened my set of draws. After gathering fresh underwear, I pulled on my trousers and shirt and let my tie dangle almost down to my belt.

Yawning, I plodded down the stairs and made my way toward the 2nd story bathroom. Sure enough the door was shut.

"Hurry up" I said banging on the door. After two minutes, I gave up on going to the bathroom and went downstairs into the kitchen. The tiles were cold on my bare feet as I joined the others a the breakfast table. They stared at me as if I was crazy as poured milk into my cereal bowl.

"What?!" I said irritably, making them all jump.

"W-Well, you were screaming again last night" Whimpered a small boy called Peter. "W-When we went to see if you were okay, you eyes were wide open. And b-black."

Suddenly, a flash of anger jolted through me, causing me to stand up. The force of me staring shook the table, sending the bottle of open milk across the surface. Trying desperately to calm myself, I ran back upstairs to my room.

I sat on my bed with my head in my hands. My body was shaking all over with anger. Nightmares? Black eyes? Sudden bursts of anger?

"What's happening to me?" I whispered into my hands.