Chapter 3-Her Tears

He walked into the cold common room. The chill ran up his spine, causing him to shiver. He sat down and stared at the ground. Should he tell Hermione that it was him who sent the letter, should he tell her he wants to help? But what if...what if she thought it was a joke, after all it was Draco Malfoy, the boy she hated and couldn't stand.

He got up from his seat and walked around the room, all he could think about was Hermione, how she would react if she found out. He wanted to get close to her...she was sad, and all that mattered was her happiness. He wants to see her smiling and laughing, having a good time.

The sky got darker, the stars came out. It was 8 at night, Draco decided to go again to the 7th floor, in hope that Hermione might be there happy without tears. He climbed the stairs, he legs started to ache but went on further and reached his destination. The corridor was dark with only a few candles lit that gave a firery glow to the place. But there was no sound, no one crying.

Draco went to the end of the corridor and to the balcony. Indeed someone was there, but they were staring at the sky, and ripping petals off a flowers stem. It was Hermione, atleast she isn't crying this time he thought. It made it easier for him, he wouldn't be torn inside from hearing her cries, a definate desperate call for love and affection. He knew he could give that to her, after all, these feelings are nothing like he'd ever felt before. He loved her...he told himself that. Each time he tried to deny it but it was no good, there is no hiding from the truth. He loved her and that all he knew.

The tears started to fall and Draco imediately hid around the corner, Hermione had started crying again. She let go of the flower and buried her face in her hands. The flower petals she had ripped of the stem flew away by the wind, they sored through the night sky and dissappeared. Draco watched her again...her cries, how they affected him. She continued to sob and the cry continued to stab Draco in the heart.

" Please...stop crying" He lost control and said it out loud, she heard, she turned and looked. How could he have given himself away. "Who is it?" She muttered. "You were here last time, Who are you?" she called again. Draco couldn't hide anymore, and walk out of the shadows, he looked at her eyes filled with tears. "Oh it's you" and she looked away. STAB! he's been hit in the heart. She saw him as an insensitive git that didn't care. That hurt him bad, and couldn't face what else she had to say. He had gave himself a bad image over the years, that no-one can take him seriously. That everything is a joke to him.

"Why are you even here? It was you last time too, wasn't it?" she asked "Yes...it was, and I'm here because i heard you crying" his voice went quieter, and feared was she might say next. He palms were sweaty, his heart beating, hoping that she didn't mind him being there, and she spoke...

"Like you care, just go away" she told him and started to sob. Draco felt as if he had drowned, the world had collapsed, his very first mistake was making people think he was mean, stone hearted freak. Another mistake was talking out loud and having to reveal himself, but he wasn't about to give up. "Well...It's not nice seeing someone cry, I only wanted to know why you were this sad" he answered. Again he was frightened, he looked left and right at the dark corridor. Hermione looked up at him, she stood up and gazed at him for a while. Draco relaxed, a smile grew on her face, it was that same smile that he longed to see, that beautiful, precious look and gleam in her eye, that made the world such a lovely place.

"You were concerned about me?" she asked quite surprised, but didn't look offended. "You wanted to know why i was sad?" she asked again. Draco looked at her, he gazed into her brown eyes. "Erm, yes...you've been upset for days, and you keep on crying" he declared, he didn't feel scared at all, her smile calm him down, comforted him.

Hermione turned away, she sat down and continued to stare at the sky. Draco was confused, he did the same and sat next to her, just a few inches away. He glanced at her from the corner of his eyes, her brown flowing hair dancing in the wind, he wanted to stroke her curls and hold her. He was that close and wanted to tell her what has happened to him lately, these undescribable feelings that have occured.

"Thank you" she muttered suddenly, but didn't look at him. Maybe she was afraid of making eye contact just like he was. They started to fill with tears once again, the ran down her cheeks. Draco hessitated and didn't have a clue what to do, he slowly and gently put his arm around her, he held her. She didn't react but kept on crying, Draco's touch soothed her, felt kind and warm. Draco was so close and now holding her, her touch made him feel as if he could fly. Hermione ceased crying and lay her head on his shoulder. Is this really happening he thought, he embraced her and held her so close that he didn't want anything to hurt her, he was there to protect her, to love her...if she acepted his love that is.

They spent several moments like that until Hermione jerked and stood up, she grabbed all her belongings, and looked at him. "Thank you, I have to go" she told him, Draco smiled, he also stood up and looked directly at her. "It was nothing...glad i could help" he answered. "No, when i needed a friend you were there" she smiled for the last time and strolled away.

She acepted him as a friend? All she wanted was a friend?. Nevertheless he was happy to be there for her, but friendship his beyond his feelings for her. They had changed into something bigger, did he have to prove his love to her? or was this one step closer to her becoming his and only his.