Chapter 53

I put the flower on the side then tentatively take Cupid's arm

I put the flower on the side then tentatively take Cupid's arm. Despite the chill in the air he feels warm. I notice he smells lightly of soap and aftershave.

I call goodbye to my dad then step outside.

Cupid looks down at me and smiles as he leads me to his car parked at the end of the driveway.

I feel my stomach churn nervously as his eyes bare into mine.

He opens the passenger door for me to get inside then walks around to the driver's side. Moments later we're on the road.

Neither of us speaks as he drives, and I can't help feeling a little awkward. I pull at my dress anxiously.

"Did you hide all the weapons OK?" I ask after a few minutes of silence.

Cupid looks down at me – he seems a little surprised at my question.

"Yes" he says "And I've got the tracker to plant on one of the Arrows when they arrive"

"Oh" I say. "You're planting it?"

Cupid frowns.

"That OK?"

I force a smile.

"Yeah – fine" I say "I just...I didn't think you would be going after the Arrows. I thought..."

"My brother would plant the tracker?" he says.

I nod.

I feel a bit silly for thinking it, but I'd hoped Cupid would stay with me.

He gives me a sideways glance – his expression unusually serious.

"They're coming here tonight for one of two things." He says "Me...or you. We don't want to make it too easy for them by being together."

I frown.

"Don't worry" he adds "We'll enjoy the dance until they get there – I'll take care of them – and my brother will keep you safe until I return for the last dance. Promise."

He gives me a winning grin – his eyes twinkling in the street lights.

I roll my eyes but I can't help but grin back.

He makes it seem like it's so simple.

"Well..." I joke "...I suppose that's ok....as long as you're back for the last dance..."

He looks at me intensely for a moment longer than is comfortable – his face suddenly serious again. His eyes seem to hungrily take me in.

"With you looking like that" he says softly – a slight growl in his tone "I'd battle an army to get to that dance."

I feel my cheeks heating up and look away hurriedly. Out of the corner of my eye I see Cupid smirk and cast his gaze back onto the road.

"I'd like to see a few Arrows try and stop me" he adds.