Chapter 2

"I cannot be said to be a flattering honest man, it must not be denied but I am a plain-dealing villain."

-Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing

Trissa

Trissa poked dejectedly at the enchiladas on her tray before letting her fork drop. She usually liked them, one of the few truly edible meals in the school cafeteria's repertoire, but today the sight and smell of the cheese and chile sauce were nauseating. She pushed her tray away and lowered her head to the table.

"Hey, what's wrong?" Hope set her tray next on the table and sat next to Trissa, rubbing her back lightly. "Are you sick?"

"I wish." Then she'd have a reason to leave school and not have to see him. The whole break-up thing had been a lot easier when she didn't have to see him. And when Peter had asked him about the girl he'd met at training camp, Trissa had seen red. Oh, she knew she'd been the one to call it quits, but he wasn't supposed to move on so quickly! He didn't even seem upset about their break-up. "I'm not hungry, that's all."

"Hey, I know this is hard. Seeing him every day isn't going to be easy—"

"This has nothing to do with Ben!" Her voice dripped venom as she growled his name. She pulled the tray forward and shoved a huge bite of enchiladas into her mouth. "I'm fine." She'd probably puke later.

Meg placed her tray—holding only a sad little wilted salad—across from Trissa. "She pouting about Ben?"

"I am not pouting! Ben Bryant can date anyone he wants. I have no interest in him or anyone else in this ridiculous school. God, I can hardly wait until graduation!" She thought about John Ramirez smirking at her in Calculus that morning and had to force herself to swallow. He was good-looking, but he gave her the creeps.

"Well, that's good because I overheard Amber Saenz gushing that Ben asked her to the dance this Friday." Meg ripped the corner off her dressing packet as she spoke.

"What?" Trissa screeched the words before she could stop herself. "I mean, whatever. Good for him." Amber Saenz? Why did he have to pick someone so...nice? If he'd picked some slutty girl, she could sneer and assume he was only trying to rub it in her face. But he'd picked one of the nicest girls in the entire school. She could only assume Ben really liked Amber. That he'd really moved on. The enchiladas started to churn in her stomach.

"Oh, Trissa." Hope hugged her to her side. "I'm so sorry."

Trissa swallowed the bile fast rising in her throat. "It's fine. It doesn't bother me. Really." She sniffed and tossed her hair. "So, who are you going with, Meg?"

"I don't know, yet. I want to keep my options open. Why don't we all just go together? It'll probably be more fun than getting stuck with some boring guy all night."

"Yeah! That's a great idea!" Hope looked so enthusiastic. Trissa hated to burst her bubble.

"I will not be attending. Sorry."

"Please, Trissa? There's no way Daddy will let me go without you!"

"I doubt that. He'll be there, after all. He chaperones all the dances."

"Please, please, please? I'm begging you. Daddy won't let me date, yet, but..."

"But there's someone you'd like to...date?" Meg smirked suggestively.

Hope blushed furiously and Trissa, as usual, rushed to her rescue. "Meg! Ease off, okay" She kicked the other girl under the table and gave her a meaningful look. Hope was young and naive, whereas Meg was entirely too sophisticated for her own good. Well, she thought she was at any rate. "Who is it, Hope?" If it was someone Trissa didn't approve of, she'd make sure to nip any nascent romance in the bud.