Chapter 3

"Friendship is constant in all other things
Save in the office and affairs of love."

                                                               -Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing

Trissa

Hope and Trissa were setting the table for dinner when D r. Daniels arrived home that evening. Trissa's Aunt Cathy was big on family mealtime, so hiding out in her bedroom and sulking about her awful first day of senior year was out of the question, at least until later.

Uncle Leon waited until after the prayer, when everyone had been served, to break the news. "I had an interesting conversation with a young man this afternoon." He paused to take a bite of meatloaf. "Concerning you, Hope."

Hope's eyes flashed to Trissa, a hopeful look on her face. "Oh?"

"Yes. It seems you have an admirer, one who very properly came to me to ask permission to take you to the dance this Friday." Uncle Leon was smirking indulgently.

Trissa was barely able to keep herself from rolling her eyes, something neither her aunt nor uncle cared for. What decade did he think this was? The 1930s? If he used the phrase 'gentleman caller' or 'courting' Trissa feared she would spew her mashed potatoes all over her aunt's flowered tablecloth.

"I told him, of course, that you are too young to date quite yet, but he is a nice, responsible young man, so I hinted that you would be at the dance and it would be permissible to meet you there."

Hope bit her lip, trying to hold in a smile, it seemed. "You like him, Daddy?"

"Yes. He's a bit old for you, but I can probably overlook that. After all, you will only be group dating for at least another year."

This time Trissa did roll her eyes, earning a disapproving look from her aunt. Uncle Leon had some fairly antiquated notions, especially when it came to his little princess. He had been somewhat more lenient with Trissa when she'd dated Ben, but not much. And even that was only because Trissa's parents had given it the okay, and put a little pressure on him to lighten up.

"What do you mean, 'a bit old for me'? He's only a year older." Hope frowned, a wary look on her face.

"No, he's a senior. Two years older than you, but like I said, he's a responsible young man, so—"

"What's his name?" Hope's question was tense and sharp. Trissa kicked her under the table, trying to warn her not to give away too much information. Uncle Leon could be difficult and had a nasty tendency to butt in; it was better to keep some things on the down low.

"Why, I figured you would know. I'm surprised he hasn't said anything to you yet. It's Peter Arragon, of course. One of the reasons I approve is because he's Ben's friend and I know you'll be safe with Ben and Trissa."

"Uncle Leon! Ben and I aren't together anymore. How many times do I have to tell you?" Trissa wondered if this day could get any worse.

"Oh, well, I figured with school starting again you'd work out your differences. I think you're being very unfair to the young man, Trissa."

Trissa cursed under her breath, earning her a frown from her uncle. "May I be excused, please, Aunt Cathy? I've been feeling sick all day and I really need to lie down."

"Well, of course. I'll check on you later." Her aunt stopped her and put the bottom of her forearm on Trissa's forehead. "You don't feel warm. Is it your monthlies? Shall I bring the heating pad?"