Epilogue

"In time the savage bull doth bear the yoke."

                                                                              -Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing

4 Years Later

Ben

"Beatrice Anne Baker."

Ben clapped wildly and whistled loudly as she crossed the stage to accept her diploma. The stage lights glinted off the diamond ring he'd placed on her finger six months ago. They'd opted for the less formal department graduation ceremonies rather than the university-wide ceremony, mainly because they took a whole lot less time. He'd graduated earlier that morning from the education department with a bachelor's degree in secondary physical education. Trissa had earned her degree in biology—summa cum laude―and had been accepted into the veterinary science program at Texas A&M. He was about to burst with pride as he watched her shake hands with the dean and the other dignitaries on stage. He'd done fine, but certainly hadn't garnered any academic honors during his four years in Lubbock. He was simply glad to have figured out what he wanted to do with his career. Some people might not think a future as a high school P.E. teacher and football coach sounded exciting, but it worked for him. He'd found a job in College Station and he and Trissa would move in a few weeks, right after the wedding and a brief honeymoon cruise to the Caribbean.

Hope wiped away a tear and he put his arm around her, hugging her close.

"I'm fine. I'm so proud of you both. I can't believe you're leaving me, though! Ugh, I hate the thought of finding a new roommate."

"Why don't you just make it official and move in with James?" She and Trissa had shared an apartment off campus for the past two years, but Hope spent most of her nights with her boyfriend at his apartment. It made it a whole lot easier for Ben to spend most of his nights with Trissa, so he was kind of a fan.

"Why didn't you ever officially move in with Trissa?"

He chuckled. "Because my daddy, the preacher, wouldn't approve." He maintained an official residence with his sister and her husband, but was hardly ever there. Ashley covered for him with their parents in return for free babysitting, though, so it worked out. It might be the twenty-first century, but this was the Bible Belt and his parents definitely disapproved of their son shacking up with his girlfriend, now fiancée.

"Well, same here, except my daddy isn't a preacher. He likes James, but not that much." She and Cam had dated for about a year after the whole sexting scandal, but their relationship had fizzled out soon after Cam graduated and went out of state on a football scholarship. She'd met James as he was finishing his bachelor's degree and starting graduate school. Ben fully expected them to announce their engagement any day. "You ready for the wedding?"

"Beyond ready. God, she looks beautiful, doesn't she?"

Hope looped her arm through his and leaned on his shoulder. "Of course she does—as always. I'm glad you're going to be my cousin soon, too."

Seven more days and she'd be his wife. He could hardly wait. Their parents had arrived two days ago, making it necessary to revert to their official living arrangements as his parents were staying at his sister's house. Two long days of not waking up with her in the morning, plus the next week back home in Messina. Both sets of parents were leaving this afternoon—thank God—and he could hardly wait to hold her in his arms again. They had dinner plans with her family, and then he could take her back to her apartment.

"Maybe I should sleep at the apartment tonight. You know, one last night with my cousin before she leaves and gets married." Hope couldn't keep the smirk off her face.

"That's a terrible idea." He nearly growled the words at her. "You need to stay with James tonight."

"Oh, Ben! You should see your face! I'm just kidding! Of course I'm staying with him tonight. Relax."

He wouldn't relax until Trissa' was his wife and they could stop playing all these ridiculous games. He loved her, dammit, and wanted—no, needed—to be with her, to wake up with her in his arms every morning. "Good."

He waited impatiently while the rest of the undergraduates were announced and a few graduate students and then he could finally find his fiancée. She was chatting with her parents so he simply slipped his arms around her from behind and ducked under her mortarboard to kiss her cheek.

"Ben!" She turned in his arms and kissed him full on the mouth, not caring that her parents were watching, amused. "We did it! We are both officially college graduates!"

"Yeah, finally," he grumbled as he hugged her. She'd been brilliant in college, of course, but he'd dragged his feet all the way. He wouldn't have passed any of his math or science classes without her help. "I'm so ready to be out of here." He was ready to be married to this amazing woman, ready to start his career, ready to start their life. He leaned forward to whisper in her ear. "Congratulations, sweetheart. How soon can we ditch the parental units?"

"Right after dinner, I hope," she whispered back.

It wasn't nearly soon enough for him. Her parents had made reservations at the Double Nickel Steakhouse, one of the nicest places in town. He'd taken Trissa there once for her birthday and had been appalled at the prices. He was certainly glad her parents were picking up the tab tonight for appetizers, steaks, and dessert for five. Trissa's brother, Michael, was fourteen and could pack away an enormous amount of food. He listened patiently and nodded at what he hoped were the appropriate times as Trissa and her mother discussed the final details for the wedding next weekend. It was going to be a classic church wedding with his dad officiating and then a dinner reception in the church social hall. He couldn't care less about the details as long as Trissa was happy.

Finally, dinner was over and he and Trissa had been hugged and kissed multiple times and the Bakers were on their way home. He tried really hard not to speed on the way to her apartment, but he feared he wasn't too successful. He nearly dragged her up the stairs, scooping her into his arms at the door.

"Ben! What in the world?" She laughed and threw her arms around his neck.

"Two nights without you, that's what."

Hours later, they lay curled together as Trissa snored lightly, which was mostly adorable. Ben watched her as she slept, brushing her long golden brown hair off her face and behind her ear. She only snored when she was exhausted or sick, and he knew how hard she'd worked these past few weeks to finish her finals and work at the clinic. He probably should have let her go right to sleep tonight, but he hadn't been able to think about anything but making love to her. To be fair, she'd been a completely willing participant.

"Was I snoring?"

"Of course not."

"Liar." She smiled sleepily. "I think that's what woke me up. It was keeping you up, wasn't it?"

"You're exhausted, hon. And it wasn't keeping me awake at all. I just like watching you sleep."

"That's a little creepy, babe." She snuggled deeper into his arms as she said it. "I love you, Ben."

"What a coincidence. I love you, too. What time do you need to get up in the morning? Tris?"

His only answer was another light snore. He smiled and pulled the covers over her shoulder so she wouldn't wake up with a stiff neck. He shifted closer, inhaling her sweet smell and thanking his lucky stars that she was his.

THE END