Chapter 10

"However they have writ the style of gods
And made a push at chance and sufferance."

                                                                       -Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing

Ben

He parked his Jeep on a side street two full blocks from the courthouse and walked the rest of the way. The Homecoming pep rally was a huge draw for the entire town, so much so they'd begun holding it on the courthouse lawn more than a decade before. It was a chilly morning and he was glad he'd thought to grab his letter jacket before leaving the house this morning.

"Hey, Ben! Wait up!"

Ben turned to see Doris Maynard, the town mayor since probably well before he was born, trying to catch up to him. She was a tall, stylish woman he'd always secretly found attractive, in an old-lady, cool grandma kind of way. He stopped to allow her to catch up. "Hi, Mrs. Maynard. How's it going today?"

"Oh, fine, fine. You ready for the big game tonight?"

"I sure hope so. We've been working really hard on our defense all week. Stanton's a tough opponent, but I think we're ready. We'll give them a run for their money, at least."

"Good, good. How are your folks? I hear your mama's been fighting a cold this week."

He chatted with the mayor for the remainder of the walk. When they arrived at the courthouse, he found himself looking around automatically for Trissa and cursed himself under his breath. Why couldn't he get her out of his head?

"She's over by the statue." Mrs. Maynard nodded her head toward the bronze image of some long-forgotten World War Something local hero. "You two still broken up?"

What kind of sick, twisted world was it when even the town mayor knew about your love life? God, he needed to get out of this town! He wasn't certain he could sound civil, so he simply nodded and looked away.

"Hmm. Well, that's pretty stupid, if you ask me. Oh, she's coming over here." The mayor sounded suspiciously amused.

Ben whipped his head toward where Trissa had been standing; she was indeed walking their way. Shit. He wanted to turn and leave, but he knew he couldn't—wouldn't—ever walk away from that girl. Shit. Her high ponytail bounced as she walked, swaying from side to side, and he had a momentary vision of wrapping it around his hand as he pulled her close for a kiss, something he'd done dozens of times before.

"Well, hello there, Trissa," the mayor still sounded amused. "I really like the new cheer leading uniforms this year, but your legs look a bit cold."

He'd been trying to avoid looking, but the mayor's words drew his eyes to her long, smooth legs so exposed by the short skirt she wore. It was surely someone evil who had designed it purely to torture high school boys. He gulped, trying desperately not to drool.

"Hi, Mrs. Maynard. How are you?" Trissa didn't so much as look at him.

"Fine, just fine." She crossed her arms and looked between the two teens for a moment. "Well, I'll let you two talk. I've got to to get to the podium, anyway. Good luck tonight, Ben."

"Thanks." He stuck his hands in his pockets and stared at the grass. He would not be the first to speak. She had come over to him, so she could start.

"Hi." Her voice was soft; it was almost a question.

He simply nodded, looking anywhere but at her. If he couldn't have her, he needed to stay away from her and he wished to God she'd stay away from him.