THIRTEEN

LACEY

   The day I realized Jack had already got his car, and didn't even try and talk to me I went back to bed, and woke up to eat a bagel before going back to bed.

   The day after that he didn't come either, and now it's the day after that. Day seven of spring break, meaning only a couple days and a week left. Was it supposed to be this way? I guess Jack realized what's been on my mind, also. We don't fit together: dating or hanging out period. The only reason im psyched out is because now it stings more than ever, and I just want to see his face or hear his voice.

   I decide it's not cool to mope in my bed over some boy whose not mine, so I lazily climb out of bed. I choose my outfit for the day, a white plain crop top with a red high waisted skirt and a tan leather belt. I have plans for today.

_______

   By two o'clock still no any form of contact from Jack, so I make a decision. If he won't come talk to me, I'll come talk to him. I snatch my car keys, (I'm a senior) and walk to my car with a matching handbag that stores my phone, and start my car.

   Once I pull out, I think to myself. Do I know where he lives? I check my contacts, and there's no kind of address under his name. How am I supposed to go talk to him if i don't know where to go?

   I pull up another contact, and call the number. He's going to get cocky with me about this, but at this point im not low enough to ask Madison.

   "Hey, Jack," I say sweetly.

   "What can I do for you, Lacey?" Johnson questions.

   "I just need a favor, may I have Jack's address?" I point out quickly, hoping he'll understand and not make fun of me or anything.

   He chuckles, "makes me wonder. Did you two decide to-"

   "Say it, and I'll cut your mansack off," I threaten.

   "Okay, okay. I'll text it to you."

   After that I say goodbye and I hang up, awaiting his text while I stay parked on the curb of my house. A message notification comes up on my home screen and I tap it. I press my thumb down on it, and continue on google maps. A lady voice leads me down the street, and in the direction of his house.

______

   I slowly park onto Jack Gilinsky's curb, and shift, taking my keys out. I get out, shut the door, and walk up to Jack's front porch. I knock swiftly on the door, and a few seconds later the door bursts open revealing Jack.

   "Lacey?" He asked shocked.

   I'm of course taken back by his use of tone, "hey, Jack... I came to talk."

   He looks away, "I know I skipped out, but the skating competition was crucial for my friend, I had to be supportive of him."

   Now I was even more taken back and slightly confused, "skating competition? Jack, Johnson said you went to a doctors appointment."

   He looked fazed and in fear for second, and I furrowed my eyebrows in disapproval.

   "You were going to lie to me," I said out loud, truly hurt.

   "Lacey, c'mon."

   "Why were you at a doctors appointment?" I asked.

   "None of you're business," he snaps.

   "I just wanted to know, calm down!" I almost shout.

   "Stop being so nosy, and leave," he demands, pointing towards my car.

   "Jack, can we just talk?" I ask softly.

   "I said leave!" He now fully shouts.

   "Jack-"

   I'm cut off with a slap across the cheek, and my mouth opens slowly in fear and surprise. My hand finds itself on my cheek where his hand was seconds before.

   "You hit me," I say slowly.

   The color drains from his face, "Lacey, I-"

   "Don't touch me, just please leave me alone," I choke out, and jog back to my car, getting inside, and starting the car immediately.

( )

chapter thirteen: november 29, 2015
edited: june 17, 2017