TWENTY

LACEY

   The sky was dark, and the stars were almost showing, but the windows were clear as day.

   I couldn't tell where he was taking me, but there were tall, wide buildings. We were somewhere in the city.

   Jack turned into a long wide alleyway, and parked at the end. He opened his door on his side, and climbed out, and I followed suite.

   His footsteps were of the only available noises during the silence of the night. He stepped beside a rusty ladder that was barely visible in the dark.

   "Ladies first," he simply said.

   "Are you serious? Is this legal?" I question.

   "Don't worry about it, just go ahead," he gestures to the ladder and waits stiffly.

   With no choice, I grabbed one of the rungs, and began climbing higher and higher, the ladder creaking every now and then. I reach the top of a rooftop, and look down, still clinging onto the top of the ladder.

   Jack is right below me as I finally swing myself over onto the roof. I pull up Jack by giving him a hand, and then we both stop. Silence creeps over the night, and I walk over to the one side of the roof that overlooks most of the city.

   Jack comes by, and sits on the edge carefully. wanting to feel that city rooftop vibe, I do the same.

   Our hands were inches apart before he placed his own over mine. My feelings were mixed, but the tingling feeling bubbling in my veins was hard to ignore.

   "You know I care about you right?" He asked, looking out into the city.

   "I don't know anything anymore, why didn't you just tell me? It's not as much as a big deal as I thought it was," I explained throughly.

   "I was scared what you would think, because I know Madison would no doubt break up with me," Jack replied.

   "I'm not Madison."

   "She'll tell everyone, and I'm that type of guy that'll hover in shame if that happens."

   I felt a sort of sympathy for him. It wasn't pity, it was sympathy. There's a wild difference between the two.

   "Being bipolar is nothing to be ashamed of, you're not the only one," I replied truthfully.

   He turned his head to look at me, and finally faced me. His eyes looked over my face, and it's features before landing lastly on my eyes where a sad emotion was locked in them.

   "You're so intelligent, lacey," he admitted, "and you're beautiful, I don't deserve you."

   "Maybe not, but I'm not going anywhere for now," I said.

   I stood up, and pulled him with me. From there I wrapped my arms around his torso, and pulled him close, giving him a hug. His own arms wound around my shoulders, giving the hug an awkward feel. I wasn't going to pull away though, because Jack needed to know soon enough that whatever disorder he has, doesn't make him a bad person, it just means he's learning who he is, and that's not such a bad thing.

( )

chapter twenty: january 26, 2016
edited: june 18, 2017