Chapter 22: Teenage Wasteland,

Carter had gone from being virtually yet quite comfortably invisible, to one of the most popular girls in school, but there was a price to be paid. First of all, there was no sense of privacy. Whatever she did, whoever she talked to, and wherever she went became a topic of interest for everyone who cared enough about the social standings in Newton High. Second of all, she had lost and found her best friend, somehow attracted both the most popular guy in school and her other best friend, and made an enemy out of the child prodigy known as Tala.

And all because she sat down at a table.

She didn't know whether to bask in its glorious light, or cry in its shade. She figured she would write a book one day, describing how popularity was so easily accessible.

As she made her way through Elena's house, she couldn't help but wonder if people said hi to her because they genuinely liked her, or because they felt obligated to. Like the way you have to respect a Queen or the President, even if you might not like them. Not that she thought she was a queen or a leader of some kind, but the sentiment was still a little questionable.

There was the occasional, confused stare, probably brought on by the fact that she had walked in with Kiran Jones. He may have been in a band, which did give him some social points, but he was still an outsider. Without the rest of his crew around, he stuck out like a sore thumb. People glanced at him like he was some sort of strange alien creature, wondering why he was at a humanoid event. Fascinating but off-putting. 

To top it off, she still didn't know how to be around him. How do you go from being close friends for years to being more? How are you supposed to transition? He was still the same person. He would argue with her just the same. Make her rage just the same. Once in a while he would throw in something awesomely sweet, and while it was awkward, it was also beautiful and intense. She would never tell him this though. He gave off a rather arrogant vibe sometimes, and she didn't want to feed to that arrogance.

"So am I supposed to stay away from you?" he asked, his hand on the small of her back, his body wonderfully close to hers.  

"What for?"

"Your people aren't exactly my people. They're staring at me like I'm sick or something."

"No they're not," Carter lied, hoping against hope that he would let it go. "They're not so bad. Well okay, a couple of them are, but most of them are nice enough."

"So if I were to kiss you right now, none of them would judge you for it?"

"I... I don't think so," said Carter, blushing madly. She knew she would probably be blushing for him for the rest of her life. "But don't do it in front of Leigh. Anyway, they're not my people," she added.

"Are you sure about that?"

"Yes I'm sure. You're my people. You and Leigh."

"Then let's leave. We can still go to Dubai. My private jet is waiting for us," he said, turning to face her completely.

She wished such a thing was possible, that they could vanish from this scene and fly off to an exotic place. Not a care in the world. Though just as she was about to get lost in those puppy-dog eyes of his, one of the usual suspects interrupted them.

Elena had walked up to her - a pained, semi-curious expression on her face. "You two came here together?"

"Um..."

"Listen, I need to talk to you. Like, right now," Elena said before Carter could formulate an answer. There was a bit of panic in her voice.

"What happened?"