Chapter 31: We Are Young,

On Saturday morning, Carter had changed her mind again, because that had turned into a habit of hers, and decided that she wouldn't go to Georgie's lakehouse. Maybe it wasn't such a good idea to stay home and wallow, but what choice did she have? She needed to distance herself from that world, to go to school on Monday a changed woman. A better person. Someone who wasn't ever going to let anyone else pry their way into her life. Someone who would never attempt to alter her personality to prove a silly point.

Anyone could be popular. Anyone who displayed an ounce of genuine confidence could command a school. If she ever wrote a book about her little adventure, she would stress that fact obsessively. It wasn't like in the movies, where the girl had to go through some ridiculous, unrecognizable make-over only to become visible to the world.

So what now? Should she pretend like none of it had happened?

She wasn't sure if she wanted to stop being friends with Georgie and Elena. For some strange reason, they didn't seem to mind that she had used them. They liked her, and she liked them, so why should she push them out of her life? Still, staying home was a good mental break from everything. Maybe on Monday she would attempt to fasten a permanent friendship with them.

When Leigh called her around noon, begging her to go, asking her why she had turned into such a useless lump lately, she managed to talk her way out of it. Convinced Leigh to go by herself. If anyone deserved to be a part of a crowd, to be caught up in some good times, it was Leigh.

Now if only she could figure out what to do about Kiran, her high school life would finally be on the right track again. Why the hell hadn't he called her? Would they ever talk again? If so, would they ever be able to go through a day without attempting to rip each other's hearts out? When Sunday afternoon rolled around, she was about ready to cave and go to his house. Demand an explanation. Then either kiss him furiously or vow to never see him again.

She didn't actually believe that he had slept with Ashton Rhodes. Leigh was probably right; maybe there was a very reasonable explanation behind that incriminating photo. There was every chance he was ambushed, or something. Ashton could've caught him by surprise, then ordered Melody Anders to snap the picture. He was a guy, and guys don't normally push off gorgeous girls in such situations, even if they don't particularly like them.

Of course, if Kiran had decided to completely cut Carter out of his life, then none of it would even matter.

When she stepped into the hallways of Newton High on Monday, she prayed that wasn't the case.

"You!" someone called as she had made her way to her locker.

"Me?"

"Why didn't you come on Saturday?" Georgie asked. "Kiran showed up. Did you two have a fight or something?"

So Kiran had time to go to a lakehouse, but couldn't be bothered to call her. "No," she lied. The last thing she wanted was for her business to spread around the school again.

"I think he thought you'd be there or something, because he kept asking where you were."

"Well, he could've picked up the phone and called me, couldn't he? Then he would've known for sure," Carter spat, then regretted it, since it pretty much confirmed that they weren't on the best of terms at the moment.

"So I'm guessing if I asked you two to come out with me and Seth this Friday, you'd say no."

"You guessed right. And I would love it if you stopped talking about him."

"Fine, whatever. So anyway, your friend Leigh's pretty cool. She came by on Saturday. Stayed the night. You two wanna go to the field with us for lunch? Elena's having someone bring over some sushi. Don't worry, it'll only be us four." Georgie wasn't one to talk a subject to the ground. Her nonchalant attitude towards everything was refreshing, something Carter could definitely get used to. Something needed.