Chapter 2: What's My Age Again.

Some people didn't enjoy proving others wrong, or proving a point of some kind. Carter wasn't one of those people. She would bask in the glory of the proof, whatever that proof may be. When she was five, she had to prove to her parents why her bedtime should be pushed back to nine o'clock. She even drew graphs and pie charts, none of which made any sense.

It was her conviction and creativity that won her the case. Sometimes this particular personality quip would get her into trouble, like the time she wanted to prove to Leigh that being bald wouldn't affect the way people saw her. Thirteen-year-olds weren't very kind to random bald kids.

The idea of being popular - the proof of the matter didn't seem so dangerous or crazy. It seemed quite possible, entirely attainable, and very easy. That's what Carter believed. The semi-hard part was executing that idea. So that morning, the very first morning of Carter's new life, started out in a rather optimistic note. 

In Carter's mind, the first thing about being popular was the way you carried yourself. It wasn't about the clothes you wore or the status of your parents. A certain air of confidence needed to exist in every step you took. Carter would have to hold her head up a little higher, push her shoulders back a little further, and always make sure to have a tiny, mysterious smile on her forever-glossed lips. No slouching. No foot shuffling. No fidgeting. No sign of anxiety or insecurity.

She would have to walk as if she had somewhere important to go, even if she was only heading for her locker.

It seemed like a lot, but it she figured it wouldn't be much in actual practice. As Carter stepped through the doors of Newton, ready to take on the school with a new attitude, she spotted Leigh and headed towards her, making sure to remember all her self-imposed rules. 

"Are you ready for this?" said Carter as she approached her best friend. 

Leigh, who had been reading a part-time job notice off the school's bulletin board, faced her friend. "Wow, you look... different."

Carter wasn't exactly different. She was wearing the same t-shirt and jeans combination she normally wore. Of course, she had woken up a half-hour early to slightly curl her hair, and she was wearing lip gloss and eyeliner. "It's all part of the plan."

"Do you really think you can pull this off?"

"Of course I can," Carter said, giving her friend a confident smile. "First thing I gotta do is get people's attention. In a subtle way, not in a dancing-on-top-of-the-table-during-lunch way. No theatrics."

"And how exactly are you going to do that?"

"I don't know, but I'll figure it out."

As Carter stood there, contemplating what she should do, a shadow loomed close. The shadow was tallish and thin, reflecting the figure it belonged to. The aroma of the person hit Carter's nose, and she knew immediately who it was. There was only one boy she knew who drenched himself in Axe aftershave, as if it were the shower of a lifetime. The boy put one arm around Carter, and one around Leigh. They both turned to smile at him.  

Kiran Jones wasn't exactly a heartthrob, but he had a certain vibe about him that Carter liked. He wore suit jackets with torn jeans, as if he was telling the world he didn't care to match, but cared enough to let it be known that he didn't care. He enjoyed teasing people, magic tricks, Star Wars, non-mainstream music, and old-school video games.

He also enjoyed arguing, which was the one quality that stood out the most, and the only quality Carter hated. They had been close friends for many years, and despite his tendency to argue, he was her go-to guy for all things male related.

Leigh's face lit up like a Christmas tree, but she faced the bulletin board again, lest Kiran catch the blush. Carter's smile broadened; she knew Leigh was inescapably in love with Kiran, and for some strange reason, Kiran was the only one oblivious to this reality. It wasn't Carter's place to say anything, so for months she had kept quiet, hoping Kiran would come to his senses on his own and allow himself to like Leigh back.

"Carter, you look... different," said Kiran, using the same tone as Leigh did earlier.

"Come on people, all I did was put on some lip gloss. Has no one here heard of make-up, or did I look like an ugly troll before?"

"Whoa relax, I just meant... you look good."

"Oh..." Carter started, feeling a little embarrassed, "Well thank you."

Kiran smiled in response. His smiles were always rather devilish, as if suggesting something else, but Carter had given up trying to guess what years ago.

"So, Leigh's looking for a part-time job. Any suggestions?" Even if Carter had vowed not to fully involve herself, that didn't mean she couldn't steer the conversation in Leigh's direction once in a while. 

"I could always use a personal assistant. How 'bout it Leigh?"

Leigh giggled. She actually giggled. Carter thought for a moment, trying to recall the last time she had heard someone giggle.  

"You think I'm funny? But I'm funny how?" Kiran began, doing some film actor impression. "Funny like a clown? Do I amuse you? Do I make you laugh?"

Leigh's giggles turned into laughter. Carter wondered if Leigh found this impression genuinely hilarious, or if she was laughing just for the sake of making him feel good about himself.

"What about you? Do you think I'm funny? Funny how? How am I funny?" he said to Carter, still in character.

"You're not funny," Carter replied, though she couldn't help but crack a smile. "And I think you said the quote wrong anyway."

Kiran faced Leigh for a second, who was still lost in fits of laughter, and turned to Carter again, "Well at least Leigh thinks I'm funny."

"She thinks the word fork is funny. Don't let it go to your head."

"Damn, you're cruel today," said Kiran, his arm no longer around Carter.

"Sorry, I'm just preparing myself for the role of a lifetime."

A confused expression spread across Kiran's face. He stared at Carter for a moment, probably decided that she wasn't making much sense, and faced Leigh again. "Do you know what she's talking about?"

Leigh's laughter had subsided enough for her to be able to respond. "She's going to try and become popular."

"What for?"

"I was bored. Gives me something to do," Carter replied, shrugging.

"Oh okay, except that you said anyone can be popular, and you're proving a point to me," Leigh piped in.

"So it's a challenge," said Kiran, somewhat excited. "How can I help?"

The idea of Kiran helping someone become popular was hilarious. First of all, he was the anti-popular, the person who existed for the Populars at Newton High to contrast with. He went out of his way to avoid recognition in school. No clubs. No activities. He hadn't once shown up for a pep-rally, a school play, an assembly, or a sports game. Outside of school was a whole other story. His social media page had over three thousand friends on it, all from different parts of his life, like camp counseling, community center volunteering, and helping out at an elderly home. He was even part of a local band.

"It's okay, I don't need help. I can do it on my own," Carter insisted, sounding more sure than ever. Little did she know that the world of the Populars was something far different from her own world. She needed help, and a lot of it.  She was simply too stubborn to see it.