Ending Notes

The Teenage Guide To Loneliness (Book 2 in the Teenage Guide Series) is up now!

When I first started The Teenage Guide To Popularity, I didn't know if it would be read much

When I first started The Teenage Guide To Popularity, I didn't know if it would be read much. The idea is cliché, and there aren't many plot-twists. But after a while all the characters seemed to take on a life of their own. I know it sounds a little dramatic, but I felt as if they were real, and they were mine, and they were controlling me instead of me controlling them. I had so many plans initially that got scrapped, minor characters that became more prominent, and plot points that kept on changing. Up to the very last chapter, I wasn't sure if I wanted to have Carter and Kiran be endgame. I wasn't sure if I could possibly make them fit, if it would make sense.

I want to thank every single one of you for reading this story, for voting, for commenting, for all your insights and your criticisms. Going back to what I said before, I didn't know it would appeal to people, and I'm extremely thankful that it did.

The second book to the series, The Teenage Guide To Loneliness, is now being posted.

Thank you again for all your support :)

For those who are up for it, here are some questions about the characters and the plot. They can ultimately help me perfect the book, make it ready for self-publication.

Question 1: Despite the plot being cliché, did you think it still outlined the common teen, her struggles, and her thoughts?

Question 2: Were the love interests important to the plot for you? Or do you feel it distracted from Carter's purpose? In general, is a love interest one of the main things that pulls you into reading YA books?

Question 3: Was Carter a strong enough, likable enough lead?

Question 4: I wanted to include as many POCs as possible. How important is it to you to see representations of different ethnicities? (For reference, Carter was half Chinese, half English. Tala was Persian. Kiran was half Indian, half English. Ashton was South African, Sterling was half Nigerian, half Irish, Elena was Spanish with some Irish ancestry... etc.)

Question 5: Did you like the open ending, or would you have preferred a more concrete ending that tied all loose ends?

Got any questions about the story? Ask away here :)

Here are some fun little facts about the story:

I had initially meant for Melody Anders to be the one who leaves Ashton behind and becomes really close with Carter. That was changed to Tala almost from the beginning.

Tala has an older sister, who was supposed to be in this story. But since no one else's family was ever really present, I decided against it. She'll be in the second book. Kiran's family will also be present in the second book.

Leigh is loosely based on the characters Harper Finkle (Wizards of Waverly Place) and Tami (Another Cinderella Story). Both were best friends with the lead character, portrayed by Selena Gomez, who I had first pictured Carter to look like.

 Both were best friends with the lead character, portrayed by Selena Gomez, who I had first pictured Carter to look like

I'm a huge fan of Harry Potter, as the references suggest ;)

The character Jack Echolls (who sells Carter's name to Kiran, and is also the guy who everyone thinks cheated on his girlfriend with Carter), never once appears in the story

The character Jack Echolls (who sells Carter's name to Kiran, and is also the guy who everyone thinks cheated on his girlfriend with Carter), never once appears in the story. It's an homage to characters like Tino from My So-Called Life, or Heather Sinclaire from Degrassi: The Next Generation. Always mentioned but never there. His name is also a tribute to Logan Echolls from Veronica Mars.

All but 2 chapters are direct song titles. The 2 exceptions are Teenage Wasteland (from Baba O'Riley) and I Was Five, And He Was Six (from Bang, Bang).

Carter and Leigh are named after the two lead characters in the Rush Hour franchise.