Chapter 7 - Beginning Of The End

I was at home and browsed through the Internet while having a glass of whiskey.
Afternoon had just begun, but I wasn't able to get drunk of this anyways so it didn't matter that it was an alcoholic drink. The only reason why I drank it was because I preferred the taste of alcohol over the taste of water or lemonade.

Since Aleisa explained to me how a laptop and the Internet works a few days ago, I got quite attached to it. Means I didn't leave my apartment since three days. I took off a week from work and spent it with being "online" and studying humans by reading some articles on their so-called "Wikipedia".

I just wanted to read a bit about human history as suddenly a picture of a woman and a man popped up. Both were smiling and cuddled up close with each other and beneath the picture there was a text, saying "Haven't found your soul mate yet? We can help you find him/her! Click here."

By clicking on the text my laptop opened a new page with a so - called dating website.

Oh, how I hate them.

Back then I didn't know much about such websites, so I decided to make an account. Not to find my soul mate but to help others find them.

Name: Cupid
Age: Definitely too old for human measurements
Location: New York
Job: Secretary; Armor; Match-Maker

Describe yourself: I'm an angel of the Lord and I was blessed with the ability to create someone's soul mate. Now tables have turned and I can't make them fall in love anymore but I can still make them find each other.

The website immediately suggested a few women who could fit to me. The fact that they suggested a few instead of one woman already told me a lot about this website, but the most important thing was that they wouldn't help anyone find their soul mate. There is only one soul mate for each person and not 10.

Nevertheless I looked at some of the profiles to satisfy my curiosity and obviously one woman did the same because I got a message.

A little letter with a heart on it showed up on the screen and it said "ANniiieJ just sent you a message." I like to refer to her as Annie or Ann.

Opening the letter a chat showed up with her message.
"Cupid? I have to be really luckily if I just found the god of love."

There was only one thing I replied, only one word. I needed to get this straight because it was strongly bothering me.
"Angel."

"Excuse me?"

"I'm the angel of love, not the god. There's only one god."

No message for a while. I wasn't sure, but I guess I sounded quite crazy.
I put my laptop on the coffee table in front of me and got up. In the kitchen I took a bottle of whiskey out of my black wooden cupboard and poured a bit in my glass. While walking back to the living room I took a sip and then there was a "Ding". A new message arrived.

I put my glass on the table while sitting down on my black couch and read the text.

"You are special, now aren't you?"

I chuckled and picked up my laptop to put it on my lap. Afterwards I replied to her "You don't believe in magic, now don't you?"

"I believe in science, facts and everything that's explainable."

"So you don't believe in love?"

"Shit, I guess you got me. So, Cupid, tell me, who's my soul mate?"

Once more I chuckled. Humans didn't understand the complexity behind finding your soul mate. The only way for me to see them, was to see them. This may sound a bit off but it's actually really simple.

I have to see person A to find person B. When I am around someone or watching them and see their soul mate passing by then I feel it. Not a feeling which I can explain but I just know it. When I see them I know they are meant to be, there can be no doubt. The only thing I didn't know was that I can also do that online by seeing the right profile, no matter if there is a picture or not, I just need a connection to both of them.

"I don't know, I would need to meet you to find this out."

Once more Ann didn't answer for a few minutes, so I took some time to read a bit about human history until that well-known "Ding" rang out.

"I don't want to sound mean, but no thanks. Bye, 'Cupid'."

"I was just saying. We don't have to meet up. I never said I'd want to." I tried to explain. I wasn't some pervert or stalker.

Unfortunately Annie didn't send a reply and so our chat ended. I decided to close this website and end the day with a last glass of whiskey.