Chapter 16 - Don't Think Too Much

I did what I was told to do - I spent my time on Christmas reasonably well. Not only did I make one person happy. I helped many more. After leaving the man I went to an ATM and withdrew as much money as possible. Afterwards I searched the city for poor people and each time I met someone I gave some money to them and talked with them for a while. I tried my best to cheer them up and I wanted to make them happy because they deserved it the most.

Of course I wasn't able to help everyone. After all there are over half a million homeless people all over the world - in the U.S. alone there are 600 000 people without a place to sleep at night and many of them are either children or veterans - but I tried my best to help as many as possible that day.

Christmas went by fast and the next day I started doing some research for Brea before heading to work. I looked at hundreds of profiles and pictures but not one of them seemed to fit so I shut my laptop close and walked outside after putting on my coat.

By now snow was covering the streets and a lot of children spent their time at playgrounds building snow man, having snowball fights or making snow angels. Most adults were only complaining about the perishing cold and that they had to bank up the snow. For my part, I enjoy it - of course it was cold to me as well but at heart I was still a child, I suppose.

While I was walking to Heithan's I was playing with a small snowball which I formed during my walk and which was getting smaller and smaller because it was slowly melting. I threw the ball on the ground before entering the building and wiped off the meltwater on my pants.

After arriving at my working place I recognized a bunch of letters and forms on my desk and sat down sighing.

The most of my day I spent with working through all the papers and replying to the letters.
In the afternoon Mr. Heithan walked out of his office with a cup of coffee in his hand and looked at me.

"Mr. Ferron, don't forget that at 5 pm today you need to be at our Christmas party at my sister's and my house." Josh reminded me and walked to the elevators, disappearing in one of them later on.

I nodded my head and continued to do my job - which I nearly finished after some more hours of working but then I looked at the clock and realized it was almost 5 pm. I would never get to their house in time, not even if I would have taken my car which I left at home at this day.

There was only one way to be there in time. It was impossible for human beings but luckily I wasn't one of them. I got up from my wheel chair and walked to the men's toilet and got into one of the stalls closing the door behind me.

After looking around I closed my eyes and let my body burn. In the next moment I was standing in front of Paula's and Josh's house. It was a giant house with a garden around it. The house was painted white and in the second story was a balcony with a beige couch and a wooden table on it. I opened the fence which was surrounding the garden and walked to the front door, ringing the bell afterwards.

It took some time until someone finally opened the door - it was the girl who styled me for the photo shooting the other day, Olivia.
She was wearing a short emerald green dress which was tight at the top but much wider at the bottom. Her long bright-blonde hair was pinned-up, only two small strands were hanging lose beside her face and in her hand she was holding a glass filled with champagne.

"Come in" she smiled and I couldn't help but stare at her. There was something off about her and then it became clear - I wouldn't be able to find a guy for Brea because it was Olivia. Olivia was her soulmate.

Finally I managed to nod my head and entered the house. Inside I was greeted by my bosses and some of my colleagues who were drinking and talking with each other and in the background the radio was playing quietly.

Later on I also got myself something to drink already and I was sitting on a couch beside Olivia - she was just as bored of this "party" as I was.

I looked at her and wanted to talk about Brea "This might sound strange now but-..." Unfortunately Olivia cut me off immediately.

"I know you aren't trying to hook up with me. So, how do you want me to meet?" She laughed.

I furrowed my brow while looking a bit of confused at her "Excuse me?"

"You're not the only one in our company using the internet. I heard about what you do in your spare time, 'Cupid'. Well, who's the chosen one?" first she chuckled but then she looked serious and expectant at me.

"It's not that easy." I tried to explain and scratched the back of my neck while thinking of a proper explanation.

"Just tell me!" she nudged me with her elbow and wiggled her eyebrows while laughing once more which made me laugh as well.

"Ok. Uhm, well, let's just say right away that your soulmate isn't male. It's a woman and her name is Brea."

Olivia looked at me without replying. I couldn't figure out if she was sad, shocked or anything like this but then her expression changed - she smiled "What a beautiful name."