Thirteen - Chapter Six

Naida tugged me down the hallway, singing a cheerful song at the top of her lungs. She was trying to get my mind off having to lie to B12 after he'd chosen me specifically because he thought I could handle myself.

    "Cheer up, Dani," Naida nudged me. "It could be worse"

    "How?" I grumbled.

    She thought for a second, but didn't cease on skipping me down the corridor. "You could be... bald!"

    I rolled my eyes. "You're right, that's much worse," I sighed and Naida stopped, allowing me to shut my eyes. "B12's gonna kill me; I can feel it"

    "Well then, I'll just have to be there to make sure he doesn't" She rummaged around in her pocket and shoved a scrunched up piece of brown paper into my hand.

    Raising my eyebrow, I pulled open the paper and inside was the most beautiful necklace I had ever seen. A bight blue ribbon was tied to a small clear diamond-shaped stone.

    "What's this?" I cradled it carefully in my hands.

    "It's a Moon Stone. Water Nymphs have been able to make them from tears for years and when the full moon is up it gives us strange powers. But that's only a legend; it rarely ever happens," She pressed my fingers around it. "And I want you to have it"

    "Wait, tears?" I suddenly realized what she had said. "Have you been crying?" My eyes flashed up to hers, worry forming in my stomach.

    Naida bit her lip and refused to meet my eyes. "No. This one was made... from your tears"

    "What?" I looked down at it. It was too pretty to be made from anything that came from me; no way it had been from my tears. How had she even been able to make something like this by herself?

    "The first night here, I had heard you crying in the middle of the night. I was worried about you, in a place like this, so I collected your tears using my magic and transformed them into the crystal"

    "Why would you give this to me? I can't use it, a Moon Stone's only for Water Nymphs" My eyes scanned herself for any information she was trying to withhold and a huge grin bloomed on her face.

    "You may not be able to use it but I can. If you're in danger, I'll know"

    "It can let you do that?" Removing the wrapper, I shoved the paper into my pocket and carefully tied the ribbon around my neck. It wasn't as heavy as I'd thought it would be and it sat perfectly along my collar bone, feeling as if it had been made for me.

    "Sure," She pressed my stone lightly and it shone and glowed blue. Pulling out another necklace from her pocket, she wrapped it around her neck and held it towards me. "Please press the stone"

    I touched the stone cautiously and it shimmered and started glowing green. "Do you just have a supply of Moon Stones?" I joked.

    "Just the two," She laughed. "Only one can be made from one person's tears"

    "Well... what did that do?" I lifted my gem and smiled at my reflection in the bright blue surface.

    "Mine lets me know if you're in trouble and yours lets you know the same but for me. Watch" She scrunched one hand into a ball and punched me. Her diamond glowed a blood red and started vibrating violently.

    "Ow! But cool" I rubbed my arm and hit her back. My gem burned a bright red as well and started shaking.

    "See? So if you're in danger you have no say in me helping you because I'll already know," Naida crossed her arms and smiled knowingly. "And I have a funny feeling that you'll be in a lot of trouble"