Chapter 7: Release

J.R:

"I got enemies, got a lot of enemies. Got a lot of people tryna drain me of my energy. They tryna take the wave from a nigga. Fuckin' with the kid and pray for your nigga"

Drake's words rang through my headphones as I finished up my last workout at the gym. Working out was my way to escape, and escaping all the drama was really what I wanted to accomplish.

But it wasn't that easy.

Inside the locker room I sat on the bench before taking out my phone and scrolling through my messages. No text from Melanie, but there was a text from Krystal. I rolled my eyes as I opened and read the message.

"Thanks for being in Leah's life, she really enjoys you being there. We both do."

I sent back a "You're Welcome" as I grabbed my bag and walked out the locker room.

Yeah, Krystal was the mother of my daughter, but there was no way any of her advances would work with me. I loved my daughter, and there was no way Krystal would come between that. I was never gonna abandon my child, and let her grow up without a father either.

Being too much into my thoughts I didn't even notice when I brushed shoulders with Marquelle outside of the gym. I apologized before actually looking up and seeing that it was him.

"Hey man! Have a good workout?" Marquelle held out his hand as I grabbed it pulling him into a homie hug.

"You already know how I do! We still good for tonight bro?" I asked, I really hoped he wouldn't back out, because I needed a night with the guys.

"Yes bro, no backing out tonight. Just like old times, anything goes if you know what I mean." Marquelle winked as he nodded his head. Marquelle was all about the ladies, as was I. In college I couldn't tell you how many times girls would fall for us over some easy simple pick-up lines. Picking up girls were easy for me, not trying to be cocky, but I mean look at me.

"Alright man, Ill hit you up around 10 tonight and see where you at." He nodded his head as I shook his hand before getting into my car.

A part of me wanted to pick up a chick tonight, but a part of me just wanted her.

Melanie:

Looking in the mirror inside my bathroom I finished my make up by setting my lips with my brown lipstick. I brushed my hair down which had light curls for the night and looked in the mirror one last time before walking back into my room. Slipping on my black romper and my black knee high boots, I was ready to kill.

I actually felt good about tonight. I actually had high self esteem in the way I looked today. Maybe I could even flirt tonight.

Or maybe I was getting ahead of myself.

I grabbed my phone and took a few pictures, before texting Symone telling her that I was on my way. As I got to Symone's house I texted Bree telling her that we were on the way to the club and we would be there soon. As Symone walked out her house she was wearing a peach midriff and some ripped skinny jeans and her turquoise heels. Opening the door to the passenger seat she looked at me and smiled. "You really killing it tonight girl!" Symone exclaimed as she looked me up and down.

I laughed as I started to drive off toward the club. While on the drive I explained to Symone about my night before with Deshawn. "Maybe you should finally give that man a chance, you know he wants you" She suggested.

I didn't think I was ready for myself to be involved with anyone else at this moment, especially not Deshawn. Yeah he was a gentlemen, but I wasn't about the drug dealer type. I was too grown to be getting invovled with that sort of abrasive lifestyle.