Part Thirty Four

Max had followed up his phone call with several others, each threatening, but it seemed this was a bluff, as he hadn’t so far sold his story. And Erin was determined to treat him with the contempt he deserved, she ignored every call, didn’t open the threatening messages, and pretended none of it was happening, and she could cocooned on the vast space of her family farm. But when a phone call came from Dave, warning her that Michelle had gone into labour a few weeks early, there was no question of her diving into her car and driving to London.

It was a horrible day, lashing rain, dark and gloomy, and Erin was never more appreciative of her new car than in weather like this, driving it made her think of Jack and the day they’d bought it, and then everything that happened in between. It was still like prising open a raw wound, but at least she was remembering the good times they’d shared, the times they’d laughed, and not just the pain of losing their baby. And retrospect allowed her to see that there were a lot of good times. She’d fallen in love with the man behind the facade. Few people really knew him, she realised and that was quite sad.

The weather made the journey long, and she was very relieved to see the Women’s Hospital than that day. There was an underground car park, so she swerved into it then called Dave.

                “It’s a girl!” He squealed, “I was just about to call you Erin, she’s beautiful...”

Erin couldn’t control the grin that swept over her face, “I’m at the hospital, can I visit?”

He laughed, “of course, you know Michelle would rather you had been here not me!”

Erin giggled too, “no she wouldn’t! We may be best buddies, but there are definite boundaries! And that’s one!”

She visited the hospital shop en route to the ward and came out with a huge balloon, a gorgeous pink puppy cuddly toy, and a bag of goodies for Michelle, she may be approaching bankruptcy, but Michelle and her beautiful baby deserved it all.

Her friend was half asleep, a smile permanently on her face, Dave in the seat beside her, a tiny bundle wrapped in his arms. He looked up when he felt Erin’s presence at the door and found her smiling at the scene.

                “I am so pleased for you both!”

Michelle’s eyes popped open and the two women rushed into an embrace. Despite the offer, she declined a cuddle with the baby, Dave wasn’t ready to give her up, she could tell.

                “We’ve called her Isobel,” Michelle smiled, “Isobel Erin Blackheath, how does that sound?”

Erin felt her jaw drop open, words couldn’t describe that sort of a gift, instead a hug showed how that made her feel.

Despite all his plans, Jack had no idea how to find and approach Erin, he was committed to his training, there was nothing he could do immediately. As he finished training two days after his mother had arrived, he was just getting in his car to drive home when his phone rang, Mike his agent beckoned a hello loaded with foreboding.

                “What is it Mike?” He leaned against the car, his phone at his ear.

Mike sighed, “had a tip off from a red top tabloid this morning, your young lady...”

                “Erin?” Suddenly Jack felt fear, real fear. “What about her?”

The other man sighed, “she’s got an ex?” When Jack gave a worried grunt, he continued, “he’s bleating, selling his soul...or rather hers for the highest price. I’ve emailed the copy to you.”