Chapter 2

Beep... Beep... Beep...
..."she's been like this for too damn long doctor! Tell me what's wrong with her! Why won't anyone tell me anything!"

"Mr. Hernandez, she did get very injured when she fell down the stairs, it's not extreme, but it is enough to take many exams on her to check. Mrs. Hernandez may be in of need of surgery but we have to be patient and wait for the results to get back."

"Fuck!" I can hear his anger and I know he's running his hands over his long curly hair in frustration.

"I'm sorry sir... I'll be back to check on her later, there's another patient I need to see." I hear footsteps and a door close. Kevin's rapid breathing is faint, but I know he's worried.

I met Kevin when I was in the tenth grade... We were high school sweethearts and were known as the happiest couple in high school. He was always such a gentlemen and so kind, sweet, thoughtful, and kindhearted. He never laid a hand on me. Never was he hurtful physically or mentally. In our college years we were distant because of our studies but he still managed to make me feel like I was the most important person in his world. When I had countless, sleepless nights at the college, he would come with the biggest cup of coffee he could find and a blanket to keep me company in the library as I studied. He studied to become a lawyer while I studied to be an English teacher. We both finished three years ago from school and he proposed the year after we finished. The day I wore the elegant black gown, the day he hurt me, was the day we celebrated our second year anniversary.

Kevin was never like this... I remember Kevin wouldn't dare lay a hand on me, always had respect for me and I for him. But recently after our first year anniversary, things were changing. He started drinking, he always thought the idea of being an alcoholic drinker was disgusting (weird huh). When stress took control of his body, he joined boxing to get rid of what he held inside. Work tired him out and had him drained. He would wake up at five to box, go to work at seven, arrive at six from work. That was his daily schedule. I always tell him he works too hard for being only 28, but his father passed down his law firm to Kevin.

Sometimes on certain days, I can still see the old side of Kevin. For example, he doesn't leave work until he kisses me goodbye and can't sleep without holding me and whispers sweet loving words against my ear. When he's home early he cooks us a wonderful dinner and helps me clean up when our appointment has to be cleaned. But Kevin is new a person, I don't understand him anymore... His jealousy now taking a huge toll and he will hurt anyone in attempt to save what's his and what he loves...

I open my eyes and see nothing but the bright light of the fluorescent bulbs over the hospital bed. I grunt and shut my eyes again. "Shut the lights... Off." It's hard for me to speak, I feel so much pain all over my chest and stomach.

"Liz!" Kevin says. I hear him move a switch to a button on a remote by the bed and the lights dim down. He grabs a chair and is immediately by my side and carefully grabs my hand knowing I'm in pain. I open my eyes and turn to my left and am met with his grey watery eyes.

"Amor... Tell me, how are you? How do you feel? Tell me baby, do you have pain? Where? Tell me! The fucking doctor won't tell me any-"

"Kevin!" I yell but regret it feeling the overwhelming pain. I squeeze his hand and breathe slowly trying to ease the pain. "A lot... Of pain... On my stomach Kev... Get the doc, please." I say.

He nods and gets up and practical runs out of the room to the hallway and starts yelling "Nurse Veronica!" I can hear his heavy footsteps fading, leaving.

I close my eyes and breath deeply trying to not focus on the pain. I think of how my family has been and realize I haven't called them since they called me the morning of my anniversary and hear my mothers and sisters congratulations. They always knew I truly did love Kevin and that he also loved me deeply. I could never bear to tell them what's been happening between us now. Not yet at least.