Chapter 8

"I really hate you." I tell Luke.

"Gracias!" He says, taking off his imaginative hat and bowed. I frown even deeper at him and step back letting him in.

I walk back to my seat by Kevin and he smiles a fake smile towards me and leans in to whisper in my ear, "why is he here." His hand tightens on my leg and I hold in the yelp and squirm in my chair.

"Mother invited Kevin, you just heard her yourself." I say silently so only he hears me and I glare at him. I really hope he doesn't pull out a stupid jealous rage.

He continues looking at me emotionless and straightens himself up in his chair and continues eating his dinner. Luke says hello to my mother with a hug and kiss on the cheek and a manly hug from the Mario. I look at Gabrielle and she actually hugs him. Hugs!? Seriously, I didn't even know she knew how to even give a nice hug when she's always frowning upon every living creature around her and at everything. But seeing her smile at Luke made me wonder how he knew them and I didn't. Wait...

"Mother, Luke is the man who helped you start your brand?"

"Well... Yes and no. I went to his fathers office to start the brand name up. Luke says he saw all the potential I had with the designs on my sketchbook and decided to help me all the way while he's also helped me promote it. Since he has contact with directors and photographers and a marketing team!"

Gee what a small world...

"Yea! I also personally take pictures myself and give them to people I believed would like her designs and take them to friends, neighbors, social networks, to expand your mothers name and brand." Luke smiles at my mother.

He goes towards the kitchen and makes himself incredibly comfortable and at home, he grabs a plate and stands by the table grabbing a mountain full of food. He turns around, I assume to sit on the kitchen bar before mother stops him.

"Oh Luke! Come sit on my chair, I just finished eating actually and I need to clean the small mess I've made in the kitchen anyway." She gets up and grabs her plate and drink, setting her chair and place for Luke, to my right as Kevin is to my left.

He sits and taps my head like a child. "How ya doin'. All's well I suppose, no?" He says looking at me with a small smile but then towards Kevin with a blank face. I sense Kevin become tense, he just continues eating and so do I.

"I'm fine Luke. How are you?"

Kevin slightly steps on my bare foot and I hold on the wince. He's warning me.

"I'm very fine and dandy might I say! Hey, you dropped this at the coffee shop, I just assumed you would need it, because, ya know, ya might need it." He slides the familiar small leather clutch towards me and I recognize my wallet. Huh, being with him made me not think at all clearly and I must've dropped it or left it on the table.

I give him a small smile and grab the wallet. I stand up from my spot and walk over to the coat rack where I recently hung my hood and bag. I put it in there and when I look back at the two men, I see Kevin glaring angrily at Luke while he smiles back smugly. I walk back and take my seat breaking their stare. I continue finishing the meal and so does everyone else.

By the time everyone has finished, I look up and Gabrielle has only had a few bites of her own food.

"Gabrielle why-"

"Champ? Aren't you going to finish that?" Luke interrupts me. I hold in the shock and see what's Gabi's reply.

"I'm not all that hungry Luke, I'll just have a piece of bread and head off to bed."

"Now, why don't you at least finish off that salad, I'll give you some brownies and a warm glass of milk with it yeah? I brought some of moms famous brownies in the car."

Her big brown eyes twinkle and she nods, eating more of her salad now.

Luke smiles at her and pats her head like a child, she just rolls her eyes at him and smiles continuing her salad. I smile a little at my sister. She's just a teen and despite that, I know that at her age she's experienced and seen things a lot of people don't see as an adult.

I excuse myself and head towards the bathroom in the guest bedroom, which was mine before I moved in with Kevin. After I clean up and fix the makeup around the black eye to make it less noticeable, I walk out and an instantly pushed back in with a body closing mines in, leaving no space.

"Why the fuck did you see him this morning and what did you two do for him to be so close, he had your god damn wallet Elizabeth!" Kevin says loud enough so only I could hear, making sure no one else can.

"You can't talk to me that way Kevin after YOU left me alone in the apartment nearly a week ago!" I say equal as loud as he. I shove at him enough so I can breath properly and he stands there with his hands on his hips. I take the time to view his attire and gasp. His denim button up is all wrinkled up, his dark washed jeans hang loose and low on him, his boots are scrapped up and dirty. I can tell he hasn't shaved in the week he's left because of his small shadow coming in, his hair is dissembled. What scares me is the knuckles wrapped up with bandages.

"Where were you Kevin? Where have you been?"

"Shut up Elizabeth, you don't get to ask me questions after being with your lover and flirting in front of my eyes!"

"Kevin! We were not flirting! How dare you! I'm a married woman!"

"I see the way he looks at you and the way you look at him, throughout the whole dinner he wouldn't take his damn eyes off of you! And you stared back!"

I don't argue with him. Luke was looking and having glances towards me and when I caught him, our gazes were struck and we wouldn't move. I came back to my senses and cleared my head again and went back to eating with my family.

Kevin steps back looking hurt, almost as if I hit him. "You don't even deny it Elizabeth..."

I shake my head and turn to leave the bathroom. I'm having strange thoughts and being closed in with him isn't helping. Kevin stops me by harshly grabbing my arm and I think about how Luke stopped me the same way. But Luke's hold wasn't strong and firm with pain. It was gentle and soft, almost like he was careful of touching me.

Kevin traps me against him and the wall again and I wait for the impact. I can't believe he might be able to hit me again with my family in the other room. I close my eyes and wait. But a voice stops him and makes my heart leap.

"BEE!" I hear Luke yell.

I open my eyes and sure enough Kevin's arm was up in a position as if he were to hit me, which I'm sure he was going to.

He steps back and waits for me go yell back.

"Yea!?" I yell back.

"Would you like a brownie?!" He asks.

I look at Kevin and he mouths "tell him to leave." But I smile sadly at him and yell back.

"Yeah, I'd love one." I walk out, limping towards the exit, leaving Kevin alone and see Luke right away when I open the bedroom door. His eyes immediately look me up and down, looking at every inch of my face. I'm guessing to see if I'm injured. When his brown eyes stop at my grey ones, I smile back and our eyes hold each other again. I don't know why, but it calms my thumping heart.

I look down towards his hands and look back at him questionably. He does the same and I ask him, "Where are the brownies?"

"Oh right!" He exclaims and scratches the back of his head, he turns around to see if anyone is around and faces me again, but brings his head down to my level, "now Bee, don't think I'm a creep again, I but I turned around and saw you got up and he followed angrily. I don't know about you, but I didn't feel like I wanted to lose my new friend tonight." He smiles sadly at me.

To say I'm shocked is an understatement. This man just won't stop surprising me. We both walk back to the kitchen and enjoy the rest of the night eating his mothers delicious triple chocolate brownies.

_____

Edited!