Chapter 5

Ally tried to sleep, but she couldn't. Those five words kept repeating over and over again in her head.

"It does break my heart."

She rolled over and looked at her clock.

12:11 pm

She tossed and turned in her bed, thinking about the conversation she had with Austin. She laid there for what seemed like hours. She rolled over and looked at the time again.

12:46 am

She groaned, bringing her hands to her face. How did only 35 minutes pass?!

When she removed her hands, she pulled the covers off of her, and climbed out of bed, grabbing her sweatshirt before walking the door.

• • • • •

Austin was on the couch, thinking about the conversation he had with Ally earlier on that day. They didn't really talk after he admitted how he felt. Mainly because he got a phone call from his mom saying he had to come home due to his parents leaving for a business trip. He just told Ally that he had to go, and that was it.

He didn't mind being home alone. It happened often. He liked the quiet, and nobody telling him what to do.

He sat on the couch watching tv and eating a bag of potato chips. Suddenly, he heard thunder and the screen went black.

'Great,' he thought. 'A power outage.' He checked his phone for the time.

1:28 am

He got up and walked into the kitchen. He put the chips back into the cabinet, and was about to close the door, when a green jar caught his eye. He reached to the back and grabbed it. He sighed.

Pickles.

Just a moment later, he heard a knock on the door. He put the jar back into the cabinet and rolled his eyes as he walked to the front door.

'Seriously? Who would be dumb enough to go out in the pouring rain and knock on his door this late at...' His thoughts were interrupted when he saw her standing outside his door, soaking wet.

"Ally?!"

He grabbed her arm and pulled her inside. "What are you doing here? It's really late and its pouring outside!"

He ran into the living room and brought back a blanket, wrapping it around Ally.

"I don't like it when I'm right." She said. He looked at her, confused.

"What the heck are you talking about?"

She looked at him, straight in the eye. "I said, I don't like it when I'm right. I wanted to be wrong." She was beginning to tear up. He sighed, realizing what she was talking about.

"Ally..."

"No Austin," she interrupted. "I'm talking right now."

He was shocked, but put his hands up in surrender.

"I'm sorry, okay?" She said. "I'm sorry. For everything. I know it's crazy. I really don't want to leave."

"Then why did you apply?"

"What?"

"If you don't want to leave, then why did you even apply?" Austin asked her again.

"Because it's one of the best music schools in the world."

"Yes but you said yourself, there are other schools."

"Do you not want me to go?" Ally crossed her arms in front of her chest.