Mary-Kate

I woke up to someone feeding me a nasty tasting medicine.
"What the-?"

"Shhhhh, just swallow" a calming voice told me.
I reluctantly swallowed that foul liquid and fully opened my eyes. There was a nurse and hovering over me was an Asian looking girl feeding me that gross medicine.

As my vision came into focus, I noticed that her eyes were soft but sharp at the same time, and she looked a year older than me even though she was shorter. She just radiated that kind of power that made her feel in charge, and important.
"Uh, hi?" I said confused.
"Hey, I'm Mary-Kate." The girl said.
"What are you doing?"

"I made this medicine to heal your leg. I am a plant expert."

"Um, cool? What makes you a plant expert?"

"I'm a daughter of Demeter, that's why" Mary-Kate said in a suddenly more sharp tone. I guess questioning her authority was a big no-no.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to sound rude" I said and her face softened.

"No prob" She said.

"I'm Amanda by the way" I said sitting up in the cot.

"Yeah, everybody knows about you here."

"Oh"

"Are you feeling better because of you are, I'm gonna let you rest some more"

"Yeah I'm feeling good, see ya around Mary-Kate"

"You can call me MK" She said over her shoulder, half out the door.

I sighed, not wanting to to sleep again.
*************************************
I woke up around dinner time, starving. I hadn't eaten since my rushed breakfast in New York. I could feel my leg again and I stood up. There were no nurses so I decided to sneak out and go to the dining pavilion. I had a slight limp, but that would go away in a matter of days. Thalia waved me over, and I sat down next to her, just before the food appeared on the table. Talk about timing.
I piled food on my plate and walked over the the brazier. I scraped the food into the fire and under my breath said "To Artemis"
We ate as the girls asked me all about my fight with the Scriponos. I really didn't know how to explain it. They told jokes and I was falling out of my seat laughing. I almost forgot about all of my troubles.

   Walking back to the cabins, Emma caught up to me and started a conversation.
"Hey, sorry about earlier, I just didn't want you upsetting your mom. I figured you aren't allowed to date" she said.

"Um, well, yeah. I'm not allowed to date" I lied. That's the right thing to do, right? I wouldn't want the Hunters to turn on Artemis.

"I like your hair"

"Um, thanks" I said reaching up to touch my hair. It was still up with the silver in it. I mentally cursed. I never took it out. Darn it!

We arrived at the cabin and walked up the steps to the door. We walked inside and got changed. Some other Hunters were there, but most of them were at the camp fire. I was tired and ready for bed. The night was dark and perfect for dosing off into sleep.