ONE

We got settled into our bunk beds for the night, Catos directly over my head. We were always together...always. Cato and I were joined at the hip since birth, friendship-wise and all. But, one thing, I liked him and I think he liked me too but we kept totally platonic till tonight. I laid awake nervous and frightened about what would happen to Cato and myself tomorrow. With an aggravated grunt, I got up going to my trunk changing into fresh clothes and walked out of the bunk room going to go to Cato and I's private place we always hung out at between the break before lunch time.
Sitting down I leaned back laying my hands on my flat stomach. I heard footsteps getting closer the hair on the back of my neck standing on end.
"Zara?!?!" Cato called, "Zara?!?!"
I sighed relaxing.
"Over here Cato!!!" I called back my voice breaking.
"There you are.." Cato said being a bit chipper now that it was just the two of us alone, so there was no need for his intimidating jackass attitude. I toed the floor with my black converses catching Catos attention.
"What's wrong Z?" Cato asked.
"My parents died Cato..." I whimpered, "I have nothing left to care about..."
"Yes you do.." He said, "Me."
I looked at him holding my knees to my chest.
"What?" I say surprised.
"I said, I'm here, and I care for you, so you do have someone left to care about." Cato said.
"I..." I couldn't understand, "Your not serious Cato.."
"I'm damn serious." Cato said.
I smiled when he did too.
"Promise??" I say.
"I cross my heart and hope to die." Cato says.