Chapter Twenty Four

The morning light streams through the sheer white curtains, landing right in my face and making me squint when I open my eyes. When I remember where I am and what happened last night with Eli, I smile because I can't help it.

I turn on my side but he isn't there. Not even his bags.

My heart starts to thud in my chest and I call out his name. No answer, of course. Bathroom? Nope. Kitchen. No. He's not on the front balcony either.

With all my heart I pray that he's in the jacuzzi waiting for me. That he'll grin and kiss me and everything will be fine. But no. As I walk out onto the back balcony I hear the sound of gravel shuffling under feet and I run to the railings and look out at the parking lot.

There.

Eli's on his phone talking to someone and frowning. Immediately I think of Imogen and I think of Eli rushing to help her even though he's mine. Was mine, whatever. I watch him climb into his truck quickly. I don't shout or yell or anything, just look and feel impossibly sad. Feel my heart break behind my ribs. Ribs do not protect you. They don't protect you from heart break.

The engine comes to life.
I feel warm tears pour down my cheeks like summer rain. I can't stop them. I can't look away.

I watch Eli leave. Squeal the tires and leave.