Chapter 5

"Are you sure you are ok?" my dad asked as he parked the car.  We had just gotten back from meeting with Nick and his family for supper.

I looked at the house.  Something was making me nervous.  I did not want to take a step into that house.  I had a bad feeling....a feeling I haven't had before.

"I'm just tired" I said quietly. "I think I am going to take a shower and head to bed."

"OK" my dad said putting his hand on my forehead. "You aren't coming down with something are you?"

"No dad" 

About an hour later I was blow drying my hair when I felt the back of my shirt move.  Even though my blow dryer was in the front of me I brushed it off as my blow drying blowing the back of my shirt. I knew this wasn't possible but I didn't want to think too much about it.  

"Elsssiiieeee" I heard a hissing voice say my name.  I sat stright up in bed and looked at the clock.  It was 3:33 in the morning. I brought the blankets up to my neck and looked around.  I couldn't see anything but noticed I was freezing.  I was in California and it was in the middle of June.  Why would I be freezing? I really didn't want to know why. 

I slowly laid back down and closed my eyes. 

"Elsie" the voice said again. This time closer and more husky like. 

"Go away!" I yelled as I covered up my face. "You are not wanted here."

I then felt my blankets being pulled from the end of my bed. 

"No! NO! NO!" I yelled, each time getting louder. 

"Please Elsie" I then heard a little boy say "Please help me. I can't find my mom."

"What?" I said sitting up.  Standing at the edge of the bed staring at me was a large black shadow.  It had horns at the top of it's head, a long nose, the body of a human, and sharp knife-like fingers. 

As soon as I saw it I heard it growl, with eyes glowing.

"Dad!" I yelled as loud as I could. "Dad! Dad!" I kept yelling for my dad over and over. I didn't know what else to do.  I was frozen. I couldn't move and I was too afraid to look up. I kept my eyes closed and my head looking down.  

I didn't even hear my dad come in.  I didn't notice anything until I felt hands shaking me. 

"No! Get off!" I yelled and started flying backwards, hitting my head hard on the wall. 

"Elsie! My god honey it's me!" I looked towards the voice and saw my dad. I then noticed my bedroom light was on.  I was breathing heavy and as close to the wall as I could get, sitting in the corner of my bed. 

"What's going on?" I then saw Nick come in.  

I broke down and started to cry. 

"Els" my dad said as he crawled to me so he could hold me. "Honey, are you hurt? What happened?"

All I could do was cry. I wanted to cry, crawl back under my covers, keep the lights on and never do anything again. 

"Talk to us sweetie" Nick said soothingly. 

"Did I wake up Annabelle?" Was all I could say after I had calmed down. 

"No" Nick said softly. "She is still asleep.  V is here too though.  Can you tell us what happened?"

I looked up behind Nick and saw Veronique standing behind him with a concerned look on her face. It was almost like she knew. 

"Did you have a nightmare?" my dad asked. I looked at him.  I wanted to give him a sarcastic 'you could say that' type answer but didn't. 

"Can you hand me my sketch book?" I asked my dad. He looked at my desk and gave me my sketch book and a pencil.  Within 2 minutes I had sketch out what I saw.  I then looked at it closely. I noticed this is not the first time this thing had bothered me.  I knew exactly where it came from. 

"It's back dad" I said quietly.  Tears started streaming down my face. 

"What's back sweetie?" my dad asked looking at Nick.  

I handed the sketch book to my dad. I was still shaking. 

"Fuck" my dad said and then handed it to Nick.  Nick shook his head and Veronique let out a gasp. 

"What is that?" Veronique finally asked. 

"It's from Mackey's" Nick said. "It's from the last time we were there when Zak got possessed."

"Not that place" Veronique said. I knew she hated Mackey's...well didn't hate the place but hated what would come from the place.  She hated what it did to Nick. "But why would it bother Elsie and not Zak?"

"She was there" my dad said quietly. He was looking down at the floor. 

"What?" V asked.

"I was dumb" my dad said looking at her. "I thought she was old enough where she could stay with us and investigate when Bishop Long was there.  I thought she was safer if he was there.  I was wrong."

"When Zak got possessed" Nick said "Or when we first noticed he was possessed Aaron got her out of the room as quickly as possible.  I was working with Bishop Long to help Zak and Aaron had called Billy to come and get Elsie.  However, we couldn't get Zak out of it.  In desperation we started to talk about Elsie and how he needed to be here for her.  The next thing we knew Zak was crying and asking for her.  We thought he was better so I called Aaron.  Billy had just gotten there so Elsie was still there.  Aaron and Billy brought Elsie back to us.  However, once she went to hug Zak things went from bad to worse."

"What do you mean?" V asked. 

"That thing...this thing in the drawing....we think it was this thing...was still in Zak" Nick said. "We went too fast on everything.  No one was making the best decisions and we weren't thinking clearly.  Once Elsie touched Zak he put this tight grip on her and wouldn't let her go.  He kept saying that he was going to make sure we remembered this place and him.  He said a lot of things we couldn't make out and didn't try to as we were trying to get Elsie away from him.  This went on for many 2 minutes but by the time we got Elsie out of the room she had 3 seperate  batches of scratches on her and finger prints on her arms."

By the time Nick was done telling the story my dad was crying.  He could never remember the story and every time someone told him the story it was like they were telling him for the first time. 

"This is one reason" my dad said "That I keep her as far away as possible from locations. The real reason."

"So this....this thing" V said "O god it's in this house?"

"No" I said quietly without realizing it "It's outside now. You're too...pure...for it" I said slowly. "You and Annabelle" I looked up at Veronique "It's afraid of you two because you guys are too pure."