Chapter 19

I threw on my winter coat and checked to see if my ponytail was still in place. Frowning at my how exposed my face looked now that my hair wasn't around my face, I looked away. I knew I needed to learn to think better of myself, so I left my hair in the ponytail.

      Smiling, I looked outside the window of my front door, waiting for Reece. He wasn't here yet, which was surprising since he was always on time. I didn't mind though because I was just glad to spend time with him.

       Weeks had passed and we were still going strong. I enjoyed his company and I could see he felt the same way by the genuine look in his eyes. It also helped that he frequently complimented me.

      Reece constantly told me I was beautiful and I was great to be around, and that honestly helped my self-esteem. As someone who thought they would be a bother to others, having someone tell you, you were great to have around was assuring.

       "Cara, are you going to see your boyfriend?" I suddenly heard Britney ask.

      Looking to where she was, I saw her standing at the bottom of the staircase. She was dressed in pjs and there was curiosity shining in her eyes. Knowing she had helped me keep Reece at my side, I knew I should finally tell her.  

       "Yeah, I'm going to see my boyfriend," I replied casually, smiling.

      Her jaw dropped and her eyes widened. I couldn't help but laugh at her comical expression, and my heart lightened up. I knew what would come next.

       "When did this happen!" she suddenly exclaimed. "Oh my god! You have a boyfriend!"

       I laughed lightly. "It happened a few weeks ago."

      "And you never told me?" Her mouth widened.

      "No one knows..."

      "Wow." Britney shook her head, but smiled. "I'll forgive you because I'm happy for you."

       She grinned at me and I grinned back. Seeing her so happy for me had my heart softening up. This was one of the rare times I was genuinely happy that I had a sister.

      "How did it happen?" she asked.

      I quickly told her what had gone down that day. She seemed surprised that I had burst that day, but she was smiling widely at the end of the tale. So was I at the memory.

       "Aww," Britney said once I was done. "That's so cute. I'm shocked you actually confessed first."

      "Me too," I admitted. "But honestly, there's a lot of surprising things I do around him."

       "What's his name?" Britney suddenly asked. "You never told me before."

        "Reece," I answered, smiling at the very thought of him.

       "Reece?" Britney's eyes widened. "What a coincidence. That's the name of-"

       My phone suddenly rang, cutting her off. Checking it, my eyes widened as I noticed that Reece had called. I picked it up quickly and he told me he was waiting outside. Guilt filled me as I rushed to open the door.

       "Sorry," I said to Britney, opening the door. "He's here."

       "It's fine." She was now smiling. "Let me meet him one day, okay?"

      "Sure." I smiled, rushing out the door.

      Going to Reece's red car, I got in the passenger seat. As I buckled up, Reece grinned at me. I smiled back, but frowned as I noticed he was wearing sunglasses. The snow was melting and spring was approaching, but there was no need for sunglasses.