Chapter 23

I hugged my knees to my chest, staring at the blank screen of my lap top. Usually I would be watching YouTube videos or searching up random things, but I wasn't in the mood to today. Not when the thought of Reece and what I had to decide was devouring my mind.

It still hadn't sunk in that Reece was this famous person. He had fans and he had paparazzi on him. Basically, he had everything I would never want in his life and now I had to decide whether to stay with him and face the things I hated or leave him and face a life without him. The decision was tough and I didn't know what to do.

Groaning, my mind went to the moment where the interviewers came and took pictures of Reece and I. Those pictures were all over the internet. Luckily my face was covered thanks to Reece, but at the same time everyone was asking who I was. Even when no one knew Reece and I were dating, everyone was wondering who I was and if we were dating. A few girls were even angry at the idea of Reece hugging any girl that wasn't them, and I knew that would be my life if I stayed with Reece. Strangers would be curious about my life and I hated the very thought of that.

I looked out the window suddenly, and realized there was no more snow. The sun was bright and the sky was clear, but I felt blue. I hated the thought of Reece's life, but I hated the thought of not having Reece in my life. There was no way I could only have one or the other, which left me stressed. Completely and utterly stressed for the past week. It didn't help that Britney wasn't talking to me either.

I wasn't sure why she wasn't talking to me, but I had a feeling it was because of Reece. It was clear that she really liked him, even though he was just a person behind a screen to her. Usually I would have thought she should just get over it, but the way she looked at Reece that day made me realize she adored him. That made me feel worst about everything because I had never wanted to steal the only guy Britney seemed to really like.

Suddenly, the doorbell rang. I groaned once again, knowing I was home alone. Getting up, I was a bit thankful that I could finally stop thinking about the situation I was in. It was getting tiresome and I really wished that I could go back in time to the days where I didn't know Reece's secret. Those days had been much simpler times.

I rushed out of my room and down the stairs, hoping I didn't make the person wait too long. As I reached the door, I noticed the person behind the door seemed to look tall. My heart froze, knowing it was someone I wasn't ready to see yet.

As I opened the door, my heart sunk. I felt myself freezing up as Reece stood before me. We hadn't spoken in a week and I knew he was looking for an answer as he stared at me with concern in his eyes. Fear ran through me as I knew I wasn't ready yet - or ever.

"Hey," Reece said, scratching his head nervously.

"Reece," I said, skipping the formalities. "I... I don't have an answer for you. I... I don't think I'll have one for a while."

"I know," he simply said. "I want to talk to you. Can I come in?"

For a second I debated if I should refuse, knowing his presence would only make my decision harder. But seeing Reece who was always so smiley looking so worried, I nodded. Even if Reece had left me with a decision that left me filled with worry and stress, I didn't want him to suffer because of me either. In the end of the day, the situation we were in was because of the person I was.

Reece stepped inside and I went over to the beige couch that sat against the wall. He followed me and we sat down together, and I was thankful to see that he left some space between us. Right now, I just needed to learn how to breathe normally again.

"Cara," Reece said, his voice shaking. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry for all of this."

"It's okay," I said honestly. "This is your life. It's not your fault you're different than me."

"Can I ask you something?" he suddenly said.

I nodded, staring at his green eyes with wonder.

"Why is this decision so hard for you?" I could see the hurt in his eyes. "I know you hate attention and everything, but I thought you were starting to truly love yourself. What other's think of you shouldn't matter."

"I'm working on that," I muttered. "Reece... I haven't changed yet. You know that from the way I still am with people."

"You're different now. Look at the way you are at the cafe. You hold you head up high and you actually smile at customers. Months ago you could never do that."

"I don't know where you're going with this," I whispered, heart racing.

His eyes were pleading and my heart was pounding against my chest. I wished the answer was simple. I wished I could just pick Reece or a regular, safe life. But because Reece was who he was and I was who I was, the decision to choose was just too difficult.

"Cara, I can see that you're conflicted," Reece said, staring at me with sad eyes. "And I want to make this easier by saying this."

"What?" I whispered, hoping what he would say would make my life easier. I really needed it right now.

"I love you Cara," Reece said, eyes softening up as my eyes widened. "I don't care if it happened fast or that I could lose you right now, but I never felt this way about anyone."

"Reece," I said, stunned. "I-"

"Wait, let me finish," he cut in. "So if you feel the same way, you wouldn't give up on me. You wouldn't just let us forget about each other because of others. Because Cara, if you truly loved yourself what people say shouldn't matter. You're you and you should be proud of every ounce of yourself. If you stay with me, you will grow as a person. And I swear, I will love you unconditionally throughout everything."

I was stunned. Reece saying he loved me was a huge surprise, and I hadn't expected it to happen now - or anytime in the future really. Just a few months ago I had been that girl who never had a boyfriend. Now a famous boy was telling me he loved me. Life had changed wildly, I realized at that moment.

It had changed and the truth was, there was no going back. Because the incredible truth was, I loved Reece too. I had never felt this way about anyone until I met him, and he made me really happy. He was right. It was wrong to give up on someone you loved. My reasons if I did would be so wrong too.

Staring at Reece, my once conflicted mind cleared up. My heart stopped pounding, and at that moment I realized I had an answer.

"Reece," I said, smiling shyly. "I love you, too."

He smiled, but he looked nervous. "And... You're leaving me anyways?"

"No." I laughed lightly, flushing. "You're right. I'm not going to give up on us because I know I'll grow through this. I trust you when you say no one will ever hurt me, so I think I can do this. I think I can deal with some attention being thrown my way from now on."

His smile turned into a grin, and I couldn't help but smile as well. It had been so long since I had seen him smile so naturally, and I was ecstatic about it. Even if a part of me was scared, I had to admit I knew I made the right choice. With Reece being the best thing in my life currently, I knew I could fight through my insecurities for him.

"Thank you," Reece suddenly said, taking my hand in his. "You have no idea how much it means to me that you picked me."

"No need to thank me," I said, leaning forward. "Thank you for loving me. You know, you make me feel better about myself."

"I'm glad I do," he whispered as he leaned forward to meet me.

Our lips pressed together and I found myself melting with delight. Everything seemed to be behind us now. It was just him and I again, but I knew that was not true at the same time. Trying to stay positive, I kissed him more passionately, praying that our relationship would stay as perfect as it was. Life would only be perfect then.