Ch. 8

I paced restlessly along the hallway outside of Viviana and Corrigan's room. They were the only two people I felt like talking to but they were both asleep. Not just because they were both knocked out on drugs that Vera had been feeding them but because it was 3 o'clock in the morning. I have barely slept for the past week but tonight was even worse. Tomorrow would be the vote for third. All the betas in the entire pack had finally gathered and were ready for a vote. Around half of the betas for the pack stayed at the compound year round while the other half only came for official business. The last time all the betas had assembled had been well over 40 years ago.

How the hell did I end up in a competition for the packs third. It was like every time the bonds that held me to the pack began to chaff I only ended up with more.

"You should be asleep." A low voice said from the opposite end of the hall. I spun around and stumbled slightly. My nerves throwing me off balance. Hands quickly caught me and held me steady against the wall. "When's the last time you slept?" Andrea asked her hands gripping my shoulders tightly. My gaze meets her silvery one and my heart beat quickend. "I'm not tired." I said. Andrea didn't say anything but just looked at me silently. Warmth began to spread throughout my body and I wanted to look away but my wolf stopped me, she wouldn't just submit because I was uncomfortable.

"You don't need to worry about tomorrow there are only two possible out comes 1. You win by a landslide or 2. You win just not by a landslide." She said. Her eyes searched my face intently as she spoke. "...unless of course you're worried that you will win, in that case you have good reason to be worried because there is no chance you'll lose or there be a split vote."

This time my uncomfortableness wins and I break our gaze. I'm not sure what to expect say, not just because of the topic but because of Andrea in general. I don't understand her one bit one day she is open then the next stand-of fish and cold and another she's raging and unreasonable.

My gaze rests on the door to Viviana and Corrigan's room. Andrea follows my gaze and her grip on my shoulders tighten. "Are you worried about her?" She asks quietly. "Yes." I still can't meet her gaze. "Why?" At first I think she means why am I worried but before I can say anything else she continues. "Why would she do that? Why would she protect me? She's....she's..."Andrea trailed off. "She's your mother and not the person you think she is, not the person she leads you and the rest of the world to believe." I said. My voice turned gentler as memories flooded my head. When Andrea looked back at me there was a storm of unreadable emotions in her eyes. We stood there silently for a few minutes and I finally break it when I move away from the wall and her hands that were still on my shoulders but had lost all tension. "I should probably try and sleep." Silently Andrea released me. I felt her eyes follow me the entire way as I walked down the hall.

***
I looked out at the assembled mass of beta wolves trying desperately to hold back my nerves. The vote was about to begin and I was a ball of nerves. Ivo was standing to my right and acting as if he had already won. "Alright everyone settle down." Willow said. She stood up in front of Ivo and faced the other betas. Willow had taken over running the vote.

"Those who stand with Ivo becoming the pack's third rise now." Willow commanded the room. A second earlier the office had been packed with restless wolves now no one moved. Not a single wolf stood from their seat and beside me Ivo was shaking with rage. "Those who stand with Kye becoming the pack's third rise." Willow stated. This time as one every wolf in the room rose. Shocked I watched speechless as Ember strode forward. "As a whole the betas believe Kye should become the pack's third however we do not want her to claim the position permanently." Ember said. "Why vote for her if you do not want her to be elected?" Willow asked. This time another wolf steeped forward Juan, was a friend of Corrigan's. "We all believe Kye has what it takes to become the third but she is too young for the responsibility and has issues she needs to settle before she can truly take the job. Our pack is in trouble now though so we all agree that until the poltergeist is handled we will follow Kye's lead."