~Chapter 2~

You let out a strangled grunt as your maid zipped up the back of your dress, stopping low on your back. Instantly, your stomach twisted and you turned your head. "What? Is it too small?"

"No, my lady, that's just the dress. It's meant to show off your back." She explained timidly. You raised an eyebrow at your reflection, wondering why you had to wear a special dress to the palace.

"Oh. Right. Thank you." You reply, rubbing the fabric of the skirt between your fingers. It was light blue, cool and satin-y, the smoothest fabric you've ever felt. The top of the dress was made of a sparkly blue fabric, with no real sleeves to cover your shoulders. You knew the colors of Astac were blue and white, and the dress was pretty, but it was hardly suitable to wear on the crisp autumn day it was.

"Of course, my lady," The maid replied automatically, twisting your hair and sliding a pearl hairpin in it. Your gut was cramping from fighting the urge to throw up. You were going to the Kingdom of Astac to court Prince Mark. It was really happening, and you couldn't be more unhappy.

In kingdoms much like yours, five other princesses were giggling as they squeezed into dresses identical to yours, telling their maids to do their makeup as best as they could to give themselves an advantage. It was a stark contrast in the kingdom of Niabeth. Adela and Veronica were in the other room, having enough merriment between themselves for your pouty attitude not to bother anyone.

Finally you were done, and a long, black car with the Fischbach crest on the hood was waiting patiently in front of the palace doors. Your sisters shrieked when you walked out, embracing you gingerly. Simon hugged you politely with a small smile. The little bastard was always hard to read. Next came Gregory, who whispered in your ear as you embraced, "Don't forget. Future king. Big brother."

Your mom and dad were smiling sweetly, telling you how proud they were of you and wishing you luck. Once they were finished, you were whisked outside as your two sisters ran after you, determined to only leave at the very last second possible.

The Astac chauffeur bowed slightly as you slid in, making sure all of the fabric of your dress was tucked inside the car before shutting it firmly. Through the door, you could faintly hear the farwells of Veronica and Adela, who were waving frantically on the palace steps. Before long, they started sliding slowly out of view, and you offered a parting wave, invisible behind the tainted glass.

Once on the road, you turned to face the girls in the car. Including yourself, there were four out of the six "lucky" competitors sitting on the cushioned benches that faced one another. Across from you, two girls with dirty blonde hair and deep brown eyes whispered and snickered, obviously sisters. They were impossible to tell apart, except for the fact that the one was whispering louder than the other. Seated next to them was a girl with long legs, pale skin, and heavy makeup. Everything aside from the dress and her eyes was black: her shoes, her nails, and hair. Her eyes were a bright blue, making the dress pale in comparison.

Slightly aggravated, you let out a sigh, watching the world fly past the window. None of these girls seemed like good companions for you on this journey. As if being sent on it against your will wasn't enough. Lost in your self misery, you almost didn't notice the huge palace you pulled in to. A girl with auburn hair in an elegant bun and a regal air around her made her way down the steps gracefully. At the end of the staircase, she turned and waved to her family, then climbed in the spacious limo with little effort. She sat right next to you and adjusted her skirts, waving through the door one last time before staring straight ahead, smiling slightly. This girl was made to be a queen.

"Hi," You greeted after a short while. She twisted her head and grinned softly.

"Hello. My name is Kala, princess of Insia." She replied formally.

"Okay, no need to be so uptight. I'm (Y/n). From Niabeth." She held out a hand, only to get a big hug instead. The laugh you heard in your ear was dainty, but casual.

"I'll try to drop the formality," Kala promised, brushing a stray hair behind her ear. An air of awkwardness hovered between the seats, save for the gossiping sisters. You tilted your head back and took deep breaths, ready for this to just be over.

When the car stopped, you opened one eye. A girl with curly hair the color of seer caramel skipped down the steps, twisting back often to wave to her family. At the foot of the stairs she nearly tripped, leaving the whispering blondes to giggle at her. Blowing a strand out of her face, she returned to skipping to the vehicle.

"Hiya!" She said when the door opened, clambering in. The car shook as she plopped down, fixing her skirts and waving to her family. "Bye! Bye! I'll miss you!"

"Well, now there's two more girls we won't have to worry about," You heard the loudly whispering blonde tell her companion. With a laugh, her friend gently hit her knee and glanced first at the newest princess in the van, then the black-nailed girl you saw when you climbed in, and finally at you.

You held her look with your (e/c) eyes, refusing to back down. The blonde simply smirked and went back to her gossiping.

"So, my name's Janessa, but any variation thereof is fine. What's your name?" She asked to everyone. The three girls opposite you either rolled their eyes or didn't respond. Fiddling with your fingers, you stared at your lap uncomfortably.

"Uh, I'm (Y/n)," You said awkwardly to Janessa. Grinning at the broken silence, you noticed her smile nearly lit up the car. "And this is Kala."

At the mention of her name, the redhead waved politely. Before you could start a conversation, the palace of Astac rose up in front of you. Black nails opened her eyes wide as the sisters squealed excitedly. Kala and Janessa pushed up against the same window, gasping and trying to get a better view. The car stopped and the door closest to you opened. The chauffeur smiled and held out a hand.

"Welcome to Astac, ladies," He said. You looked up at his kind face, taking in his gray hair and dark eyes. Timidly, you put your hand in his gloved one, allowing him to help you out if the limo gracefully. A line of maids, butlers, stablehands and the likes applauded on either side. Camera crews flocked around, eager to get a glimpse of the princesses. Behind you, one of the blondes huffed, annoyed at not being the first one out.

You carefully made your way up the steps, allowing yourself a quick glimpse of the royal family of Astac. The king and queen were smiling at every girl, while Thomas, the future king, whispered something to Mark. Mark. He didn't seem to be paying attention to his brother, however.

All his attention seemed to be on you.